"My Father, The Captain"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marine9

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
"My Father, The Captain", by Jean-Michel Cousteau

a new book to celebrate what would have been
Jacques-Yves Cousteau's 100th birthday has just
been released. Has anyone picked-up a copy yet?

If so, how is it?

Should have some great diving stories of the early days!

Hmmm... hope my son reads that wish! I had the pleasure of working with Jean-Michel on Alcyone while his father was on the Calypso. Never met JYC but he and JMC gave me a signed copy of their Amazon adventure.

Last edited:
I first met JYC in the early 1950s when he and a group of SoCal investors purchased US Divers from Rene Buzzo. At that time he was known as a film maker and ex French navy officer and certainly unknown out side the diving world. He gathered a very small group of local divers for a reception and brain storming session- to met him and for what was needed in new diving products.

On 3 November 1965 we once again crossed paths at which time he inscribed his book the Silent World to me...So far as can be determined one of his first inscriptions of the Silent World in the US or the world. A little over a year later he joined with David Wolper who introduced him to the world via "The undersea world of Jacques Cousteau." The rest is history....

Later on when I was a consultant to US Divers and the offical US Divers company diving instructor we crossed paths many times, and as his books were published he inscribed them to me.. I now have seven (7) books personally inscribed to me.

I own and have read all of the books written about JYC ( aka Zeek); Axel Madsen, Richard Munson the very rare James Dugan book, Undersea Explorer and the most recent Brad Madsen book Jacques Cousteau; The Sea King

It will be most interesting to read his son JMC's account of his stormy life with the God of Underwater and his out of step mother.

Over thirty years ago my son who at 12 years old was large for his age completed the week long US Divers Equipment repair course. As the youngest person to complete the course he was recognized by JYC & the then president of US Divers, John Cronin with a set of US Divers equipment several US Divers shirts and an a inscribed copy of JYC's latest book.

In the past 40 or so years I have also collected editions of the Silent World from all over the world...I have the English (UK), the German, the Russian and several I have not IDed as to the county...I am still collecting so if you have a unique edition and would like to trade or sell, please PM me.

The collection is not for sale... Some day it will become the property of son Sam IV who is a ER/Hyperbaric doctor..

sdm

Last edited:
FYI...

"Scuba Diving" magazine is offering five (5) autographed
copies to winners of their most recent contest.

I just finished this book and contrary to Dr. Sams asssessment Mrs. JYC seems to be the glue that binds the operation together. Altogether a good read on a complex and gifted family that were instrumental in developing diving and firing the imagination as to what could be seen and accomplished by scuba diving and undersea exploration.

Sam: Are we referring to JMC's mother as "out of step" or his step mother? Although I only spent time on Alcyone and not Calypso, Simone was reported to be the cement that held things together.

I read the first 20 pages of it on Amazon I think (it places a limit on the number of pages that can be read on-line of course). I'm planning to get a copy and take it up to Santa Barbara when I go to meet with JMC on some ideas he has to talk with me about.

Last edited:
jm:
I just finished this book and contrary to Dr. Sams asssessment Mrs. JYC seems to be the glue that binds the operation together. Altogether a good read on a complex and gifted family that were instrumental in developing diving and firing the imagination as to what could be seen and accomplished by scuba diving and undersea exploration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good gosh! His step mother...

The out of step mother Francine!

SDM

I worked with Phillipe in the late 60s, JYC and Simone showed up for a short time. She was definitely the Queen Bee that made it all work. She made sure that we were all well taken care of and made great soups.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom