My dentist gave me something for dry mouth when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dentist gave me nitrous oxide so I wouldn't have to go diving to get narced and told me some of his diving patients are really stupid.

Yes. All of the above. I drink so much water I pee in my wetsuit regularly. Reg set on lowest (or is it highest?) setting.

I was getting dry mouth this year also. But I started to drink more water and that helped a lot most dives I was fine but occasionally there was one or two longer ones I started to feel it. So I tuned the adjustment back all the way and then out a hair and no problems. I never thought about the adjustment and getting too much air with the dry mouth untill someone told me

Yes. It started to affect the enamel. I was fine for a few years doing that but then in Cocos last year, wham. Bad pain. The lifesaver would last an entire dive...so just sitting there in the pocket between my cheek & tooth was not too good. Kind of like babies who sleep with bottles and the sugar in the milk decays their teeth.
Liveaboards. 5 dives a day. I brush twice, sometimes more when I dive and see the dentist twice a year;)

Yes. All of the above. I drink so much water I pee in my wetsuit regularly.:D Reg set on lowest (or is it highest?) setting.

I'm not sure I'd take the advice of a dentist that I see twice a year that didn't detect growing damage over a 5 year period. You don't go from no sign of decay to exposed nerve (hence pain) in 6 months. :rofl3:

sugar free menthol cough drops works well

A double hose regulator solves dry mouth too.

I do have a hard time believing that the dive time sugar exposure is a real issue, but I'm not a dentist. I have had a situation where a tooth was compromised and sugar exposure fueled a full blown nasty abscess.

Being fully hydrated is my first line of defense.

If I find myself getting dry while single hosing I begin to think about a favorite food to get saliva flowing. As saliva pools remove your regulator and self irrigate, swallow and replace the regulator. Instant relief and a regulator R&R drill to boot. If the saliva won't flow hydrate more. Hydration with water is most effective.

Pete

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom