My dentist gave me something for dry mouth when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your diving is "strenuous" something is going wrong or you're a commercial diver. My diving is leisurely, relaxing and fun. Last emergency I had to help with, we were back on the boat shortly after...plenty of water there.

Ahhhhh.....I'm just a minimalist when it comes to what I take into the water. Enjoy your water. I'd recommend a splash of raspberry or squeeze of lemon.

Change "strenuous" to "physical" then if it helps you to understand. The semantics may change but the point is the same.

If you're a minimalist I assume you just carry a tank with a regulator. No need for frivolous stuff that can get you all tangled up like a mask, fins, BC, etc, right?

Change "strenuous" to "physical" then if it helps you to understand. The semantics may change but the point is the same.

If you're a minimalist I assume you just carry a tank with a regulator. No need for frivolous stuff that can get you all tangled up like a mask, fins, BC, etc, right?

What do you consider a minimalist? I take what I need. And it's very streamlined. I need fins for propulsion but even my buckles are streamlined and use blades, not splits. Mask for clear vision. Wing for neutral buoyancy and emergencies. Knife for emergencies (only small one, not on leg). Hoseless computer. Octo on a necklace. You get the idea.

My diving is no more effort underwater (except in an emergency) than walking. Then again, I go very slow to see all the cool stuff. :D Maybe that was more of a solution to my dry mouth. Perhaps when I was new I was doing "physical" or "strenuous" diving.

I do get your point. Enough being silly on my part. I just don't particularly agree with it. The addition of more stuff to get entagled, addition of another hose, removal of regulator to take drinks, etc....just not worth the discomfort of dry mouth in my opinion. Just an opinion, though.

"Proper hydration" calls for hydrating before, during and after strenuous activities. So to hydrate properly you'll need a source of fresh water to drink during your dive. Sounds like the Camelback guy is doing it right :)

I like the idea of having fresh drinking water when I dive, but don't like the idea of carrying a full size Camelback with all it's straps. It wouldn't be too hard to pick up a small reservoir, maybe one liter, and find/make a pocket for it. At least for OW stuff where the risk of entanglement is pretty low adding one more small hose shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: Here's one that looks promising: Platypus Hoser 1.0L Reservoir - 34 fl. oz. at REI.com

My wife uses the SCUDA. They are heard to find but she swears by it!

Hey FB, sounds like your honesty is fresher than your wetsuit. :D
I wash it with detergent after every dive.:wink:
I would avoid sucking on candy when diving even sugar free as it's an aspiration risk.

Adam
That's why I used a Lifesaver. I has a hole in it.

My dentist gave me nitrous oxide so I wouldn't have to go diving to get narced and told me some of his diving patients are really stupid.
:rofl3:

I figured I was the last diver on earth to figure this out, but I haven't seen it mentioned here. When my mouth gets dry while diving, I just move my tongue around, which seems to get the salivary glands going quite sufficiently (presuming proper hydration going in).

I can go from total cotton mouth to complete comfort in just a minute or so (keep the tongue moving until things improve). When you're really dried out, this can be physically difficult to do, but have faith and persist.

I tend toward dry mouth anyway, so the fact that this works for me bodes well others, I suspect. No hoses required.
Yeah, I do that too. It helps to some degree. Even when I am not diving, I drink at minimum 6 glasses of water a day plus other liquids. But sometimes I just start coughing.

My dentist gave me nitrous oxide so I wouldn't have to go diving to get narced and told me some of his diving patients are really stupid.

Time for a new dentist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom