My dentist gave me something for dry mouth when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I tend to start coughing during a dive so I used to keep a life saver tucked between my cheek & teeth, which messed up my teeth big time. My dentist (well, his wife who I had never seen before but now I think she's better than he is:wink:) gave me this stuff call Oral Balance moisturizing gel. If I ever go diving again:depressed: I'll let you know how it works.

Sorry to read about the lack of diving to date... welcome to my world. :wink: Hope you get a chance to try it out soon!

I tend to start coughing during a dive so I used to keep a life saver tucked between my cheek & teeth, which messed up my teeth big time. My dentist (well, his wife who I had never seen before but now I think she's better than he is:wink:) gave me this stuff call Oral Balance moisturizing gel. If I ever go diving again:depressed: I'll let you know how it works.

How did the life saver mess up your teeth? Having sugar in your mouth for that long?

Last edited:
Yes, please do let us all know! I think we'd all be curious what the stuff is and what it does, not to mention how well it works.

have you tried out the basics to stop drymouth. (Making sure your body is hydrated by drinking Water Starting the night before the dive and all the way up till you dive, Also if you have an adjustable reg try de tunning the reg all the way back or mostly back so that it flows a little less air. The reg maybe flowing too much air for your mouth/Throat.

How did the life saver mess up your teeth? Having sugar in your mouth for that long?
Yes. It started to affect the enamel. I was fine for a few years doing that but then in Cocos last year, wham. Bad pain. The lifesaver would last an entire dive...so just sitting there in the pocket between my cheek & tooth was not too good. Kind of like babies who sleep with bottles and the sugar in the milk decays their teeth.
That's what I was wondering? How many dives were taking place between brushings? :confused:
Liveaboards. 5 dives a day. I brush twice, sometimes more when I dive and see the dentist twice a year:wink:

have you tried out the basics to stop drymouth. (Making sure your body is hydrated by drinking Water Starting the night before the dive and all the way up till you dive, Also if you have an adjustable reg try de tunning the reg all the way back or mostly back so that it flows a little less air. The reg maybe flowing too much air for your mouth/Throat.
Yes. All of the above. I drink so much water I pee in my wetsuit regularly.:D Reg set on lowest (or is it highest?) setting.

" My dentist gave me something for dry mouth when diving"....a rebreather? :D

:rofl3: I wish!! So no dry mouth with those?

Back
Top Bottom