My dentist gave me something for dry mouth when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did the life saver mess up your teeth? Having sugar in your mouth for that long?
Wow, how long did you suck on lifesavers to actually mess up your teeth? Or did you have dry mouth besides just diving?
My husband and I dive with camelbacks. Drinking sips of water every 5 minutes or about every time I check air makes so much difference. No more scuba cotton mouth and feel better after diving too!

Wow, how long did you suck on lifesavers to actually mess up your teeth? Or did you have dry mouth besides just diving?
My husband and I dive with camelbacks. Drinking sips of water every 5 minutes or about every time I check air makes so much difference. No more scuba cotton mouth and feel better after diving too!

How do you wear a camelback amongst all your gear?

Hung from the top of the tank with the waist strap wrapped around the middle of the tank to keep snug. The hose goes over the shoulder and is kept snug with a little velcro strap along with the reg hose. It's all very slick and very streamlined. Won't even notice it there when it's snugly strapped on with a good quality camelback.
My husband showed me how. He's an instructor, started doing it with long, hot, dry days teaching in AZ and So CA.

Last edited:
Add one more hose to make things complicated or get entangled. I still with proper hydration, saliva or would even try that gel the OP was talking about before strapping a camelback to my rig.

Add one more hose to make things complicated or get entangled. I still with proper hydration, saliva or would even try that gel the OP was talking about before strapping a camelback to my rig.

"Proper hydration" calls for hydrating before, during and after strenuous activities. So to hydrate properly you'll need a source of fresh water to drink during your dive. Sounds like the Camelback guy is doing it right :)

I like the idea of having fresh drinking water when I dive, but don't like the idea of carrying a full size Camelback with all it's straps. It wouldn't be too hard to pick up a small reservoir, maybe one liter, and find/make a pocket for it. At least for OW stuff where the risk of entanglement is pretty low adding one more small hose shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: Here's one that looks promising: http://www.rei.com/product/767109

Last edited:
I figured I was the last diver on earth to figure this out, but I haven't seen it mentioned here. When my mouth gets dry while diving, I just move my tongue around, which seems to get the salivary glands going quite sufficiently (presuming proper hydration going in).

I can go from total cotton mouth to complete comfort in just a minute or so (keep the tongue moving until things improve). When you're really dried out, this can be physically difficult to do, but have faith and persist.

I tend toward dry mouth anyway, so the fact that this works for me bodes well others, I suspect. No hoses required.

Last edited:
Oasis spray before a dive works well. (And it's pretty much just diluted glycerine with mint flavor so I often make my own and skip the chemicals.) You can get it in the drugstore near the toothpaste.

Different things work for different people. Some will say you must just not be hydrated, but I don't think that is always (or even often) the issue.

"Proper hydration" calls for hydrating before, during and after strenuous activities. So to hydrate properly you'll need a source of fresh water to drink during your dive. Sounds like the Camelback guy is doing it right :)

I like the idea of having fresh drinking water when I dive, but don't like the idea of carrying a full size Camelback with all it's straps. It wouldn't be too hard to pick up a small reservoir, maybe one liter, and find/make a pocket for it. At least for OW stuff where the risk of entanglement is pretty low adding one more small hose shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: Here's one that looks promising: Platypus Hoser 1.0L Reservoir - 34 fl. oz. at REI.com

If your diving is "strenuous" something is going wrong or you're a commercial diver. My diving is leisurely, relaxing and fun. Last emergency I had to help with, we were back on the boat shortly after...plenty of water there.

Ahhhhh.....I'm just a minimalist when it comes to what I take into the water. Enjoy your water. I'd recommend a splash of raspberry or squeeze of lemon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom