My DC died at 108 ft. Now what do I replace it with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was on a LOB last week and after a few days of diving, my Dive Computer (an Oceanic ProPlus 3) decided it was time to pack it in. Unfortunately, it did this as I was exiting a swim through at 108ft. The display was reading a tank pressure, no depth was displayed and 0 Air Time Remaining (ATR). I looked at my buddy and signaled that I was OK but my computer was toast and that I was going back to the boat (which conveniently was right above us as we exited the swim through). My buddy paired up with somebody else & I headed for the surface. Even though I wasn't sure if I could trust the tank pressure displayed on my computer, I was confident that I had enough to do a safety stop. I got back on the boat safely and once on the surface, the computer shut down totally. BTW, the DM on the boat was great! He "hooked me up" with a computer for the last couple days of the trip and didn't charge me for it.

So ... it looks as though I am now in the market for a new dive computer (assuming mine can not be fixed economically).

I see three ways that I could go with this. I have a few LDSs, so there are a couple options available to me.

The low cost "simple" option: I have always liked Air Integrated Dive Computers and while I would prefer one, I look at this as a "want" not a "need". The lowest cost option for me would be to take advantage of the offer that Oceanic has on their website for 30% discount on any dive computer when you trade in one (working or not). I could trade in my PP3, and then I could then apply this 30% discount to a Geo2 and pick up a pressure gauge, and I am back in business so to speak for a couple hundred bucks. I would however lose air integration by going this route.

The "gear head" option: One of my LDSs is a Shearwater distributor. I could blow the budget and go for a Perdix AI. SB is full of rave reviews of both this computer and the outstanding customer service that Shearwater has. It also appeals to the side of me that says "Buy once. Cry once." (I am a bit of a gear head so although for the type of diving I do, this option is very definitely overkill, but I am OK with that.)

The "status quo" option: This option would see me replacing my ProPlus 3 with either another PP3 or a similar computer with maybe a bit newer technology. Options available at my LDS would include either the PP3 (with the 30% discount) or the Sherwood Sage. I did really like the PP3, but to be honest, I know absolutely nothing about the Sage other than the owner of one of the LDSs personally uses one and he really likes it.

I am a vacation diver. I do not do tech dives and I tend to primarily dive in warm turquoise water. I will be the first to admit that I do not need a Perdix AI, but I am also not willing to arbitrarily rule it out. To be honest, I am leaning toward the 2 extremes right now, either the Geo2 & pressure gauge or the Perdix AI. I see the merit in both options for the type of diving I do. (BTW, I am not going to eventually do more technical dives as I progress. I have no interest in tech diving and at 58 years old, I doubt that I ever will.)

So, what are your thoughts and does anybody know anything about the Sherwood Sage?

Hey Hoag,

Sorry to hear you had issues with your DC at depth. I had a similar issue with my Petrel 1 on a recent livaboard trip but my issue presented itself on the very first checkout dive only to about 50ft max. Turns out I had a funky battery and just replaced it with a fresh battery and all was well for the remainder of the week. I contacted Shearwater after the trip and explained the situation and they immediately sent me an RMA for a repair. Repairs made and they even gave me a new case out of the blue!

So basically what I am trying to say is invest in something that will grow with you, despite the initial cost. I just hit 1k dives and not a tech diver but I wanted a computer that will grow with me over the years-that's why I made the decision to invest in a Shearwater product. Also as you can see, their customer service is kind of legendary. So without a doubt, I would totally say a Shearwater product may be a excellent option here. For local diving I use a beat up Suunto but for vacation diving, I use my Petrel. The Petrel will never see cold harsh waters-its like a weekend car for me at least.

Hey Hoag,

Sorry to hear you had issues with your DC at depth. I had a similar issue with my Petrel 1 on a recent livaboard trip but my issue presented itself on the very first checkout dive only to about 50ft max. Turns out I had a funky battery and just replaced it with a fresh battery and all was well for the remainder of the week. I contacted Shearwater after the trip and explained the situation and they immediately sent me an RMA for a repair. Repairs made and they even gave me a new case out of the blue!

So basically what I am trying to say is invest in something that will grow with you, despite the initial cost. I just hit 1k dives and not a tech diver but I wanted a computer that will grow with me over the years-that's why I made the decision to invest in a Shearwater product. Also as you can see, their customer service is kind of legendary. So without a doubt, I would totally say a Shearwater product may be a excellent option here. For local diving I use a beat up Suunto but for vacation diving, I use my Petrel. The Petrel will never see cold harsh waters-its like a weekend car for me at least.
I actually had the battery on my PP3 replaced just before I went to the Bahamas. If it turns out that this is what caused the problem, then the cost of repair/replacement is covered by the LDS that did the battery swap. (They told me that they would cover it if that is what caused the problem.)

Yup, I agree. Shearwater's reputation for their CS is legendary.

He "hooked me up" with a computer for the last couple days of the trip

How did you handle the fact that you had residual nitrogen from the previous dives prior to using this computer and this computer doesn't have this information?

In addition to figuring out what "new" computer is needed, assuming yours is completely dead, you should also consider having a back up computer in addition to a primary one. The back up is worn/attached to you always when diving in addition to the primary computer to keep you going safely should one of the computers dies during a dive trip.

How did you handle the fact that you had residual nitrogen from the previous dives prior to using this computer and this computer doesn't have this information?

In addition to figuring out what "new" computer is needed, assuming yours is completely dead, you should also consider having a back up computer in addition to a primary one. The back up is worn/attached to you always when diving in addition to the primary computer to keep you going safely should one of the computers dies during a dive trip.
My computer failed on the first dive of the day. I had not dived since about 4:00pm the day before and I was diving Nitrox so while there would be some residual loading, it would have been minimal. The new computer absolutely did not have my residual Nitrogen loading, but I recognized that and kept my dives for the rest of the day relatively short & shallow.

Having a back up is not a bad idea and if I had one on this trip/dive I could have just switched to using my back up and kept going without another thought.

Regardless what type of diving you do, Shearwater is the way to go. I have one hardwired to my rebreather and use a standalone Petrel 2 as a backup. My wife has the Perdix and loves it, albeit we don't use AI at all. When I'm doing open circuit diving, whether vacation leisure dives or technical stuff around home and abroad, I always go with Shearwater. User replaceable batteries (AA or SAFT), second to none customer service, a digital log on your computer at home, and updates via bluetooth. The screen size is also damn near perfect. I used to like having something like a Suunto that I could wear around as a watch while I was traveling, but after switching to Shearwater, I couldn't care less about that "benefit."

There really is nothing that matches it. Sure, it hurts a bit shelling out that much cash up front, but you'd be hard pressed to get something with as many checks in the PROS column as a Shearwater.

I will also admit that I do not "need" a Perdix for the type of diving that I typically do. However, I have no regrets about spending the money to get one. I do regret that they announced the AI model 2 months later, but I can't blame Shearwater for my bad timing..

The Perdix is one of the very few pieces of dive gear or consumer electronics that I've used where you can just tell that every design decision and feature is carefully thought out with the end user in mind. I have come to rely on mine. I especially love their implementation of the compass - so helpful. I don't think you'll regret it if you go with the Perdix. BTW, I had been using the ProPlus 2 before the Perdix, and I considered getting a ProPlus 3 or X. The Perdix definitely felt like an upgrade from the Oceanic.

I actually had the battery on my PP3 replaced just before I went to the Bahamas. If it turns out that this is what caused the problem, then the cost of repair/replacement is covered by the LDS that did the battery swap. (They told me that they would cover it if that is what caused the problem.)

If so, you should be all set.

If not, I have seen some posts here (@scubadada comes to mind) about getting computers like that fixed or replaced by Oceanic for a very low price. I would certainly try that, even if you end up getting an additional computer so you have a backup in the future.

I have a Perdix AI. And an Oceanic Atom 3.0. For what you described of your diving and plans, I would not bother with the money for a Perdix. When I do ordinary recreational dives, I take my Atom (with AI) and my Seabear H3 and leave the Perdix in my reg bag. I prefer the smaller watch-sized computers when I don't need the tech capabilities. And I only have to replace the battery in my Atom about once a year. A Geo should last even longer (since it doesn't have AI).

A repaired/replacement PP3 and a Geo with an SPG in your save-a-dive kit would be a great way to go, I think - based on you liking the PP3. I don't like consoles, personally, so I would go with 2 wrist computers, but that's just personal preference. Neither one is "better".

A Geo and PP3 running the same deco algorithm would also be nice, I think. You can compare them for sanity checks.

Just I thought I didn't see addressed but wouldn't Oceanic make a newer AI DC that is compatible with your transmitter? If so, use the $300.00 trade-in on one and you're set to go.

ETA: After going back and rereading the OP, I see Hoag did mention getting a similar computer, so I'll go back into my hole now.

The Perdix is one of the very few pieces of dive gear or consumer electronics that I've used where you can just tell that every design decision and feature is carefully thought out with the end user in mind.

True. Except for the AI bits. For the AI bits, it seems it was thought out by serious tech divers who don't use AI, with tech divers who don't use AI in mind. The Oceanic implementation of AI is better - in my opinion, of course... after using the Oceanic AI for almost 3 years and the Perdix AI for about 9 months....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom