My choice for a dry suit would be ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jos

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am a wetsuit diver that has decided to consider a dry suit for the cold water dives. My focus is today towards trilaminate type, front zipper, flexibility. I have read some threads here as well some german threads and most of them seem to end up comparing DUI Explorer to the following list (not limited) with good alternatives to DUI: Santi E space, Ursuit heavy light FZ, Protec Pro Explorer, Dive2Gether Explorer, Bare Trilam Tech Dry. Keeping the diver dry is the main function of the suit and here the experience is very mixed, so difficult to judge. Flexibity depends a lot on fit, fabric type and how the suit is 'constructed', so also difficult. Warranty (material, seams, etc) may give a good indication but only if the service of the dealer/manufacturor is indeed fast and troublefree. I am about to visit the German BOOT fair in January 2008 and I hope to have a better focus by then ... with your help!

Pinnacle Evolution 2, front entry, trilam cordura. I have one, you can search this forum for a lot of posts regarding it...

Also you can check my gallery here on scubaboard by clicking the link below my avatar (not the one in my signature!) and see some photos of it.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

I was checking out my buddies DUI TLS350. Boy, that is one heavy suit. Very durable, but maybe more than necessary.

I know a lot of folks that dive the Pinnacle Evo suits, and they are very nice for the price. I know of several folks diving the Bare Tech series, and they are also well built.

IMO fit is likely the most important *option*.

I just noticed the free custom sizing that Dive Right in Scuba is offering. IMO JUMP on that!

Another nice thing about the Pinnacle is that they come with pockets out of the box.... that a several hundred dollar option on a lot of suits.

I was checking out my buddies DUI TLS350. Boy, that is one heavy suit. Very durable, but maybe more than necessary.

Huh? are you sure you didn't confuse it with a CF200. The 350 has to be one of the lightest drysuits around.

Agreed, the TLS350 weighs a third what my USIA suit weighs. And the damn thing was dry by the time I got out of the water, and sat my doubles down on the bench. Absolutely amazing.

One thing I want to point out here. The heavy-duty suits are terrific for keeping abrasion and cuts at bay. But if you have to do a lot of swimming in them, they are FAR less than ideal. Swimming my suit, and similar suits, are like swimming in tight jeans and a denim jacket. Doable, but not a pleasure at all. The TLS350 was like swimming in a thin wetsuit. I now understand why it's the suit of choice for cave divers.

Agreed, the TLS350 weighs a third what my USIA suit weighs. And the damn thing was dry by the time I got out of the water, and sat my doubles down on the bench. Absolutely amazing.

I've dived a USIA Bioflex before; the outside seemed about as tough as a burlap sack (which is good, in this case). I take it the Pinnacle Evo 2 has a similar outer layer?

There was definitely a difference in swim speed between the USIA and a 7mm farmer john. I've yet to try a TLS350, but imagine it would be closer to the USIA than the wetsuit.

Huh? are you sure you didn't confuse it with a CF200. The 350 has to be one of the lightest drysuits around.

I could be wrong on the model. It was the one with the crushed Neo bottom half.

I could be wrong on the model. It was the one with the crushed Neo bottom half.

I think that's the FLX50/50 or something like that. Very different than the TLS350.

Back
Top Bottom