Undergarment decision: How to stay warm and flexible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joris Vd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone,

I've been diving dry for about three years now and I've been cold in winter for about three years now.

It's usually fine just up to mid November (8-9 degree water temp) but after when we get into the low 7-6-5 it becomes difficult on longer dives (over 45 min).
I always just got a tiny bit cold and bit through it up to now.

But as I've started with my cave training recently and also doing more and longer deco dives, it just doesn't feel safe anymore to be comfortable with 'getting cold'.

I've been diving with Santi merino whool thermal underpants, a woolpower 200gr turtleneck, topped with a BARE SB Mid Layer fleece thingy and Hestra Merino gloves for the hands.
As socks I use the smartwool heavyweight socks for mountaineering.

I am looking for something warmer, but as I have no real field of comparison, I was wondering what the Bare Mid layer compares to?
Is it similar to a 200gr undersuit or what would you compare it to?

The main parameter I would need in an undergarment is flexibility, so pferrably a stretchy fabric (so no nylon exterior).
The drysuit I am diving atm is a simple trilam Santi E-space.
1641753058489.png

1641752992743.png

1641752955358.png

1641752620667.png

1641753400162.png

I've fitted many undergarments but have yet to find one 'complete' solution that doenst limit my shoulder flexibility...
The Santi XL way too tight in the shoulder but fits everywhere else, but the xxlShort is fine in the shoulder but is way too big in the waist and legs.
I tried doing a dive in the xl santibz400 but I couldn't do my valve drills at all anymore because it was so tight in the shoulders..

I've looked into the Nogravity Sealion plus, but have no idea if they are actually worth the price? Any other suggestions perhaps?
I've only been able to fit the XL from Nogravity.

I'm open to anything basically, but preferrably I would love to find a 'one suit-solution' so I don't have to layer on and off each dive.

TLDR:
Need undersuit to get warmer than what I'm wearing right now, without limiting shoulder flexibility.

I have a similar problem with drysuit underwear. Shoulders are to tight or small,

My back tends to get cold,
I was just thinking of wearing a vest. So my arms can stay the same thickness,
Haven't tried it yet, just a thought

Add the Fourth Element X-Core fleece vest. Nice and toasty. I wear one under my thick DUI DuoTherm fleece undersuit.

Have new Fourth Element Hot Foot socks. Wore them today over silk liners I already had since my usual merino wool socks made them too tight.

Dived at a mine in Wisconsin today. 48F water temp. 8F air temp, -8F windchill. Toes were nice and toasty.

2nd and 4th post.

TL:DR Weezle Extreme or FE Halo. Regardless of choice you’re going to lose a little bit of mobility in <10 degree water for extended durations, but some talc applied to inside of suit and ensuring the suit is riding in the spot it is supposed to be will limit that mobility loss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom