My Bucket List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a good idea. I have done that with other items in the past. I have learned to be somewhat self-sufficient living on a farm when everything I want is miles away. Example, always a back-up sump for the Victorian home basement -- even though sumps last for years. I've never regretted having what I need before I need it.

They send you a free service kit with the regs so that's the first 4 years taken care of....

Just did a couple of 100'+ dives today on mine, loving them all over again.

Enjoy the scuba show, I'm sure you'll see a lot of cool stuff there.

Because I know you wear a 7mm wetsuit from a different thread... Did you have your wet suit on when trying out the BCD? Everyone seems to think I should have my wet suit on -- wondering how I will manage that at the scuba show tomorrow :) .
I did. Asked my friend before a dive if I can try hers on. Then bought online a size larger :)

You can get a really thick jacket with you and try your BCD with it. Should give you an idea.

With Zena though, there are two straps. Make sure the upper one is around your waist and the lower one is towards your hips. I tried the wrong way for the first time and it was uncomfortable. But when you adjust correctly, it's great.

The Zena also has a pretty big adjustment range. If it fits fine with a shirt / blouse and you have an inch or 2 either way on the adjustment straps you'll be fine.

Thank you -- you two are wonderful as are all the folks in this forum. I sure appreciate all the input and helpful information I have received from everyone here!!!

Because I know you wear a 7mm wetsuit from a different thread... Did you have your wet suit on when trying out the BCD? Everyone seems to think I should have my wet suit on -- wondering how I will manage that at the scuba show tomorrow :) .
Just wear a thick sweater when you try on a BCD. (If the weather is too hot to wear it all day, stuff it in a bag and put it on just before you try on the BCD.) It won't be perfect, but it will be close enough that you will get a pretty good idea.

Thank you for the referral and I will look into his classes!
He's an awesome instructor. I'm not even paid to say that! :D I'm sure he'll be at the Scuba Show this weekend. Look for his booth.
From the beginning I knew that floating effortlessly is going to make or break my experience underwater.
TRIM and buoyancy will enable this. If the instructor is not getting you flat in the water and insisting that you don't spend any time on the bottom of the pool, then you're not going to get the full experience. 95+% of the instructors out there don't pay enough attention to trim and buoyancy. Don't kneel for any man or any agency. If kneeling is a part of your class, and you're really serious, then find another class. Just ask the instructor if you kneel while learning skills. Most don't even know that this is a bad thing. Too many divers throw money at gear to resolve skill issues. Getting the right instruction is better than buying $10,000.00 worth of gear.

He's an awesome instructor. I'm not even paid to say that! :D I'm sure he'll be at the Scuba Show this weekend. Look for his booth.

TRIM and buoyancy will enable this. If the instructor is not getting you flat in the water and insisting that you don't spend any time on the bottom of the pool, then you're not going to get the full experience. 95+% of the instructors out there don't pay enough attention to trim and buoyancy. Don't kneel for any man or any agency. If kneeling is a part of your class, and you're really serious, then find another class. Just ask the instructor if you kneel while learning skills. Most don't even know that this is a bad thing. Too many divers throw money at gear to resolve skill issues. Getting the right instruction is better than buying $10,000.00 worth of gear.

I have feeling the instructor is very experienced, but I also have the feeling he's "old-school" so he might be tempted to sink me :) Fortunately I chose private lessons. I take care of my dad and my schedule is variable. He's a nice a guy, and I have talked to him several times. He knows his stuff. I think he will help me with whatever I need help with. My only concern was equipment -- of course he wants me to buy everything from him, and I would if he had what I want. I feel bad that he is not an authorized dealer for some of the equipment I want to buy.

More important than gear is getting the right training from the start. One of the finest instructors on the planet, and my favorite in California is Robert Arak who owns www.ScubaTude.com. Most instruction is started out on your knees and very little stress is put on getting neutral. I have nothing bad to say about any of the other shops in the are... only super high praise for Robert and his crew. It would be worth paying for your class all over again if it means that, especially if you want to make this a permanent hobby.

As for BCDs, my favorite is a hybrid called the Zeagle Express Tech. Whatever BCD you go to, make sure it has or you can add a crotch strap. Nothing stabilizes a BCD on a diver like a crotch strap.

Scubatude was at the scuba show. I told him someone on the scuba board told me to train with him, but I didn't know your real name Chairman. I told him I was going to post this pic for you :) He had a very nice booth and gave away a lot of very nice things.

Scubtude_zpsgrrnbemg.jpg

Have a look at the Zeagle Zena. My wife dived one for years before going to sidemount and loved it. Comfortable, super adjustable, light to travel with and very modular for a jacket type BCD in that almost all the parts can be replaced individually.

Zeagle Zena BCD - Womens BCDs - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

The Zeagle Zena won hands down as far as fit and comfort. My natural waste is in a completely different place from every other BCD and I have no idea why my waste is so much higher than every BCD! To be able to purchase the shoulders (size small for me), and the waste (size medium) in two different sizes -- awesome! It was the ONLY BCD that allowed me to carry the weight on my hips, and fit my shoulders. Extremely comfortable -- knew it the minute I put it on. Every other BCD fell off my shoulders, or put the weight half way down my hips.

Back
Top Bottom