My Bucket List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbeck3579

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm working on my bucket list and certified diver was in the top 5. I've always loved to snorkel, swim, boat, para-sail, ski, and swim the waves. Snorkeling with the sting rays in the Caymen Islands was amazing. It wet my appetite for exploring all that our oceans offer. I've finished all but the last, 5th test, with PADI online and I have my confined dives scheduled. I'm looking forward to going to the Scuba Show at Long Beach Convention Center this weekend. I'm a techie junkie and there is a lot going on with scuba gear. It's time to get outfitted and ready for the Advanced Course :) I'm looking forward to checking out all the "top rated" gear -- the scuba stores always seem to have a very limited selection. Signed on here to read about real people's experiences with gear; liking or not liking.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida......good luck and have fun.

Hello tbeck

Welcome

There are many approaches to gear. Outside of a few narrow areas (dive computers and drysuits are two that come to mind), the quality differences in gear from various sources are minimal.

I apply my "techie junkie" skills, such as they are, to finding good older gear and rebuilding it. This has worked out well for me for tanks, valves, and regulators. I dive a Deep Sea Supply BC that I bought used. I have an Oceanic Geo 2.0 dive computer which I like because it is small. I buy my wetsuits and other neoprene items, and masks and fins, new.

Enjoy the ride..

DON'T BUY ANYTHING YET !!!!!!

All you need is mask, snorkel, booties and fins.... Rent till you are sure you will really be diving a lot and try different stuff.. Hard core divers like me have a room full of gear bought on Craigslist and eBay for pennies on the dollar from people that made 10-20 dives and lost interest..

Slow down and enjoy the underwater world...

Jim....

Thank you and that is good advice. I am or "usually" am a craigslist/used person, but I will be diving and traveling. This isn't a whim. I was raised in Huntington Beach when the Beach Boys were writing "Surf City" -- bicycled to the beach frequently. Then life happened; lived and traveled around the globe -- work, work, work, with no time for things that I enjoy. I'm back :) I have the time and a little money to do some awesome dives in some awesome places and I absolutely plan on doing it. A "bucket list" is a lifetime of wishing and thinking "if I had the time, if I had the money". No more if's for this girl, my wish has come true :wink: I would be a fool not to seize the glorious opportunity God has put before me.

@PunkabillyTurk is in the Huntington area and is a recently certified diver. Always on the lookout for dive buddies....

And welcome to the board and have fun, dive safe!

@PunkabillyTurk is in the Huntington area and is a recently certified diver. Always on the lookout for dive buddies....

And welcome to the board and have fun, dive safe!

You rang?? Welcome to :smalllogo: !! @RainPilot is 100% correct. I am a new diver and live in HB. What shop are you doing your OW through? Let us know how the OW dives go and once you are certified I would be more than happy top go diving with you.

Hello tbeck

Welcome

There are many approaches to gear. Outside of a few narrow areas (dive computers and drysuits are two that come to mind), the quality differences in gear from various sources are minimal.

I apply my "techie junkie" skills, such as they are, to finding good older gear and rebuilding it. This has worked out well for me for tanks, valves, and regulators. I dive a Deep Sea Supply BC that I bought used. I have an Oceanic Geo 2.0 dive computer which I like because it is small. I buy my wetsuits and other neoprene items, and masks and fins, new.
Enjoy the ride..

I do like the entire design idea behind Aqualung's Lotus I 3 -- someone was thinking outside of the box. Like everything in life there are trade offs; nothing is perfect. The inflate for a "newbie" appears much more intuitive and streamlined. In fact much of this BCD appears more streamlined -- a big plus for a newbie. It's made for women -- we do have curves and bumps in different places and we don't have the upper body strength a man has -- well most of us don't :wink: I can't compensate with my biceps if something is hitting me wrong on my shoulders; well I can but not like a man can. I checked out ebay and craigslist -- as a bargain shopper I understand that if you see a lot of something it is typically because nobody else wants it :wink: It's a good way to find good stuff, but the good stuff disappears fast. It's also a good way to see what everyone else is ditching. I didn't see an Aqualung BCD.

I do like the entire design idea behind Aqualung's Lotus I 3 -- someone was thinking outside of the box. Like everything in life there are trade offs; nothing is perfect. The inflate for a "newbie" appears much more intuitive and streamlined. In fact much of this BCD appears more streamlined -- a big plus for a newbie. It's made for women -- we do have curves and bumps in different places and we don't have the upper body strength a man has -- well most of us don't :wink: I can't compensate with my biceps if something is hitting me wrong on my shoulders; well I can but not like a man can. I checked out ebay and craigslist -- as a bargain shopper I understand that if you see a lot of something it is typically because nobody else wants it :wink: It's a good way to find good stuff, but the good stuff disappears fast. It's also a good way to see what everyone else is ditching. I didn't see an Aqualung BCD.

I would be very careful buying gear. Ask questions here, at your LDS (local dive shop) and other divers. While I think it is a smart idea to have your BCD before the OW dives, buying the right BCD for the diving you will be doing is key and I think you can get something better than the Lotus 13 for less.

I looked at the posts here from women re the Lotus I 3, as well as reviews by women. I've been researching and reading for months. One of my first, if not my first class following my certification will be buoyancy. I am so relaxed floating on my back, I can do it for hours -- literally. I love water, I have since I was 4 y.o. My mom gave me summer swim classes at Bolsa Grande H.S. pool. While the other tots were fooling around in the wading pool I walked over to the high dive, 12 ft deep pool, and jumped in :) true story. Anyway, I will see a ton of people this weekend in Long Beach at the scuba show and ask a ton of questions and try on a ton of different things. I may hate that BCD -- who knows? Are you going to the scuba show?

Back
Top Bottom