My Bucket List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been m,onitoring this thread because I suspected you would be headed in the direction that, as it turns out, you are. I will now add my advice. Buy nice, not twice. You are able to get the good stuff and as it turns out, that doesn't cost more. I've posted recently about where my wife and I have landed and where she is headed with regards to gear. For you, I will recommend the Deep Sea Supply BP/W with a few mods. I like my Deep6 regs but my wife loves her Aqualung Micron because it is very small and fits her mouth better with the small mouthpiece. We love love love out Shearwater Perdix AI and feel in spite of the cost it is the best money we have spent on diving. If you PM me I will give you my phone number and we can chat. I am adding a link to my recent post.

New BC for travel.

Hi RayfromTX,

I've been looking at the Deep Six -- I like their name and the nautical history of the term deep six. It looks like an excellent piece of equipment with many advantages. The price is great too. My only concern is that they are a new company. I know any business can get the "deep six" (whoops) but a newer company with such fierce competition is extremely prone to going "belly up" -- I assume the term belly up has a nautical history as well, though there seems to be a great debate on the web regarding its origins.

I like the Deep6 regs because I can service it myself with easily available parts. I can call and talk to the owner/developer of the products. He has been around for a long time and he has a great philosophy. He is taking the industry in the right direction. His products are outstanding. His business model is sound and allows him to outdo the big companies on price and service. My aqualung products are 100$ a year to service. The parts are not available to me to do my own service. I really detest the business model of the big companies as they fight to survive in a shrinking market with outdated and heavy handed strategies. Bottom line when I remove all that emotional response is that Chris's regs are a top of the line product for an entry level price and they will outlast me. I could live with my Aqualung Core regs but the service would annoy me. I don't trust the service at the local dive shops. Hell I bought my own fill station because I don't know what goes on behind the curtain at the LDS.

Deep6 is new. @cerich the owner has been around a long time running some of the biggest names in regs.

I have no doubt they are here to stay. And even if they did disappear the parts and kits for service are all compatible with HOG and Apeks etc.

You rang?? Welcome to :smalllogo: !! @RainPilot is 100% correct. I am a new diver and live in HB. What shop are you doing your OW through? Let us know how the OW dives go and once you are certified I would be more than happy top go diving with you.

Hi Turk,

I just read your fundme page and I feel for you! Never let go of the dreams God gives you. As I was reading I was also thinking about the scuba show this weekend. I thought about all the big $$$ that will be there -- billions to be sure. One corporation is all you need. Sucbaboard is a big promoter of Deep Six and Deep Six is a new company -- that may be a great place to start. You promote their product and they brag about how generous they are; a win win. You are a good looking guy with a great background defending our country -- just sayin'. Let them know! Within a few days you could be blessed with more than you ever dreamed -- God does those things for us all the time :wink:

I like the Deep6 regs because I can service it myself with easily available parts.

I did not know that! Parts were my concern.

Hell I bought my own fill station because I don't know what goes on behind the curtain at the LDS.

Okay, now I'm back to thinking about my dads fill station for his Co2; typical plumbing easy-connect couplings. I fill his portable bottles all the time. I suspect the machine has adjustments for the gas concentration :) Ack, I hate it when my mind goes off into new projects -- lol Health insurance paid for the machine but I suspect the machine is very expensive???

Welcome! I got Zeagle Zena after trying out one my friend has.
Don't care that much about how it looks (got all black), but think the zipper to put it on and off is pretty nice. The only downside is it doesn't have any pockets. The little mesh one is only there to take space and lose things, found it the hard way.

Any BCD you buy, make sure you try it on before buying, as fit is extremely individual.

Because I know you wear a 7mm wetsuit from a different thread... Did you have your wet suit on when trying out the BCD? Everyone seems to think I should have my wet suit on -- wondering how I will manage that at the scuba show tomorrow :) .

Deep6 is new. @cerich the owner has been around a long time running some of the biggest names in regs.

I have no doubt they are here to stay. And even if they did disappear the parts and kits for service are all compatible with HOG and Apeks etc.

Thank you Rain Pilot! When you get old like me :) you have run into the "out of business, no parts" a few times. It is very frustrating. I like the regulator and I believe it is a good one, but nothing lasts forever without maintenance and repair.

If it makes you feel better you could buy the service kits from them at around $10 a set. With 2 year, 400 dive service interval the price difference would buy you a lifetime of kits and a boat dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom