My Blacktip Leaked Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if you have to pay fixing your BT will be cheaper than buying a new scooter.

Cost me about $900 including shipping for them to fix mine from a flood.

Or even an AV1

Screenshot (1022).png
Screenshot (1023).png
Screenshot (1024).png
Screenshot (1026).png
Screenshot (1028).png

Recently bought another one on here

Cheep!

Even if you have to pay fixing your BT will be cheaper than buying a new scooter.

Cost me about $900 including shipping for them to fix mine from a flood.
Ouch

Lots of info avail on replacing mechanical shaft seals. Same seal as in a pool pump. When assembling keep the ceramic face clean, don’t touch it, and it should be good.

Same seal as in a pool pump
Or car/ tractor water pump seals.
Very rarely will a mechanical seal go bad. It will be bad at installation right from the start or if bearings go,

You really should learn. How to work on it yourself.

Or car/ tractor water pump seals.
Very rarely will a mechanical seal go bad. It will be bad at installation right from the start or if bearings go,

You really should learn. How to work on it yourself.
Does anyone know a replacement part number from an alternate supplier for the BlackTip shaft seal?

If you can get the part, it should be easy to replace. But, if you can't source a replacement part the difficult of doing the work becomes irrelevant.

Does anyone know a replacement part number from an alternate supplier for the BlackTip shaft seal?

If you can get the part, it should be easy to replace. But, if you can't source a replacement part the difficult of doing the work becomes irrelevant.

It’s a FlowServe PacSeal Type 21 seal.

I don’t have the part number handy right now but, when I last week I couldn’t find anyone other than DiveXtras that carried it online.

Or even an AV1

Cheep!
It's a 25+ year old model and those lead acid batts can barely do a single dive. You are right that they are cheap at $900 used or lower. The parts are really getting hard to find prices are insane like $60 for a cover Oring. The aggravation with how often they break isn't worth the downtime when trying to fill the boat cooler.

It's a 25+ year old model and those lead acid batts can barely do a single dive. You are right that they are cheap at $900 used or lower. The parts are really getting hard to find prices are insane like $60 for a cover Oring. The aggravation with how often they break isn't worth the downtime when trying to fill the boat cooler.
My son and I did the PADI DPV cert on Apollo AV1s in Grand Cayman in 2004 so that we could more easily rent DPVs without having to do a guided dive first. The scooters were a lot of fun. Dive Tech had a great dive running south from Cobalt Coast along the reef. The battery life was about an hour and we never quite made it to Turtle Reef, that Dive Tech ran at the time.

If I remember correctly, the AV1s cost about $2,000 at the time. This thread prompted me to look up the Tusa SAV-7 EVO3, they appear to run considerably more these days.

Back
Top Bottom