MX-5 vs. MX-5II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgonderi

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone tried both the MX-5 and MX-5 II (with strobe)? I've currently got one of the older MX-5's, and noticed that Sea & Sea has an upgrade program where you can send in your old camera (plus some cash) and get the newer model that will handle the closeup lens and external strobe.

The total cost for this upgrade woule be around $342 ($72 for the camera upgrade, $215 for the strobe and $55 for the lens).

I've searched for "mx5" and seen mostly bad comments regarding it. Having used mine on a few dives, I know it is capable of decent pictures (well, to a fledgling UW photographer like myself, anyway), but also easily produces backscatter-rich pictures if you're not careful.

I guess I'm interested in hearing from someone who's actually used both and can comment on the improvements (if any) of the external flash. My initial thought is that the upgrade cost is pretty steep, but if it results in a significant improvement in the pictures, then it might be worth it.

Someone mentioned that the flash was facing forward. I saw one recently at a scuba show, and as I recall, it was facing forward, but at a slight angle toward the camera. I did not check to see if it would rotate or if it was fixed. Based on the light-pickup scheme they used, it looks like it would need to be attached to the camera to work.

To me, $342.00 sounds like a lot of money to sink into an MX-5. Personally, I like the construction of the MX-5; it has the feel of an MX-10 and to me is a lot more solidly built than other similarly-priced point-and-shoots. However, the original camera's huge drawback was that Sea&Sea made no provision whatsoever for an external strobe. All of its competitors offer strobes, which gave them a huge advantage over the MX-5, even if they weren't as good mechanically or optically.

The MX-5II corrects this, but only to an extent, in my opinion. The YS-20A looks like a scaled-down version of the YS-40A, with a small projection that blocks the camera's internal flash. According to Sea&Sea's description, an infrared trigger fires the strobe, just as the MX-10/YS-40A does. The placement of the strobe relative to the lens looks to be about the same, if not a bit closer, than that of the MX-10 system. So, I believe it probably has at best the same "off-camera" strobe performance as found with the MX-10/YS-40A. In other words, the strobe still isn't far enough away from the lens for effective backscatter reduction.

I'd keep the MX-5 as a backup. Use it in situations where available light is sufficient, or the water is perfectly clear. It is also great for outdoor topside photography on the beach, canoeing, etc.

I think you'd be wiser to put that $324.00 toward another system. Many on this forum would advise you to go digital, which may very well be a great choice.

I hope this helps!

Greg Bunch
gbunch@gbundersea.com
http://www.gbundersea.com

Even after sinking $350 into the MX-5, you're still going to have a possibility for major problem with backscatter. The YS-20A strobe is still very close to the lens.

For another option, you have several choices of 1 and 2 megapixel digital cameras priced not much more than $350. Look at the Canon series of cameras. Another $200 or so will get a housing for it. The lenses on digital cameras are very light sensitive making it possible to take excellent shots in ambient light or using the internal strobe.

Just another way to go....

I am in the exact same situation.
After countless hours spent on the internet trying to figure how to turn the mx-5 upgrade thing into a good idea, my conclusion is: it is NOT a good idea, period.
Next step for me is a digital camera or camcorder.
In the meantime, my mx-5 pics are pretty decent.

Cheers

Zeina

Thanks for all the suggestions. As I don't really have the money right now to do any camera system upgrades, my big concern was missing out on thie upgrade possibility if it was only for a limited time.

My initial impression/assumption was that digital would be a lost more expensive than the swap, but sounds like that's not necessarily the case, so will probably hold off and investigate digital when I get a bit more photoggaphic experience and $$$.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom