Must gear be purchased from the LDS you are getting Open Water certified at?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are all the dump valves also stuck?

flots

Yes... all of them. Plus you are bleeding and completely surrounded by a gang of oceanic white tip's.

Sounds like they should change the name of the shop to A$$ Hatts......No way I would deal with them on anything.

What the OP reports is not unusual. When I was a newbie back in the 90s the shop I was certified in did it very similarly. They gave you the whole loyalty speech at the start of the class. You were to supply mask, fins, snorkle and weight belt. They gave 10% off on the package and if I remember correctly they started at $129 and went up to $259 (in 1992 dollars). You were required to either use their gear or purchase the gear from them. They supplied the gear for the pool sessions but for the OW dives you needed to rent it. That was one of their selling points, save $50 by buying from us. The shop ran some killer deals but when you tried to buy the item the instructor would talk you out of it and tell you its junk and try to up sell in the worst way. They would also try to sell you junk, for example an octo holder that would not hold the octo, a quick release snorkel clip that broke on the second dive and I almost lost the snorkel and an expensive Scubapro log book which is the one of the crappiest log books available.

Ah yes, the old sales model perfected by NASDS and continued to this day. Now with the world wide internet and informative boards such as this harder to get over the innocent newbie

Ah yes, the old sales model perfected by NASDS and continued to this day. Now with the world wide internet and informative boards such as this harder to get over the innocent newbie

If Jacques would have heard what he said about Aqualung, he would have flown from France to b*tch slap the instructor.

Here is how I handle gear that if your gear is not part of my rental fleet or purchased somewhere else. If I sell you a piece of gear and that gear does not function in a manner that makes your class easier then I will redo the class with you at your convenience at no charge to you. If you insist on using gear that you purchased, borrowed, found , whatever and you cannot do the class we have gear at the pool you can use. If you insist on continued use of your gear and you cannot finish then you must pay for a make up session prior to the next class so as not to hold the other students up.

I had one gentleman come in with a Zeagle BC, While this is a great bc it was the wrong bc for him. Since he had purchased it somewhere else I offered him the choice of using my gear or his whichever he wanted. 3 years later this student has purchased a complete set of gear from me because he found out that the Zeagle was too heavy and bulky for travel. His son now buys his gear from me. And we have an agreement, his son who has gone back to the same dive shop for 3 years is working his way up the ranks, the son does all his advanced training with this shop because he stays there for the summer, great to be him, but they purchase all their educational materials from me so that they can study before they arrive. I don't want to sell you something today, I want to sell your children something for their children. Long term respect is much better than a short term sale any day.

That's fair, if *my* gear prevents me from completing the class, then that's on me. If there's nothing wrong with my gear, then there's nothing wrong with me using it.

For what it is worth: RUN! Don't think. RUN! Call the CC company. RUN!

And did I mention.....RUN!

Yes... all of them. Plus you are bleeding and completely surrounded by a gang of oceanic white tip's.

An a bunch of vintage divers that watch too many James Bond movies are closing in to cut your hose with their big underwater Bowie knives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom