Must gear be purchased from the LDS you are getting Open Water certified at?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IIIEXOCETIII

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys. Just a quick one here that maybe you can help me clarify. Recently my wife had decided to get Open Water certified. I was finally able to spark her interest in doing it. However, I have run into a slight delima that you may be able to help clarify. During the time paying for my dive classes we were recommend to get my wife a BCD since she had a very small frame. They said get the Zeagle Zena. So we eventually left the dive shop and was mowing over weather or not to purchase a $500 BCD for her first dives.

Later on that week we ended up in a different part of town which had a Divers Direct there. I said "cool lets check it out". We went in and tried several BCD's for her. Eventually leaving with a much less expensive BCD that she said she was comfortable in. I believe it was a Mares Journey Elite. Well during her first dive class last night they asked who had all there own gear. My wife was the only one who raised her hands. They then asked to see what it was. Was they had seen the BCD they said she had no way of training in it as the BCD must be purchased directly from the dive shop they are training at due to "Liability" issues. Is this indeed the case?

Must I take back the BCD to Divers Direct and get one from the LDS?

What would have happened if I purchased the Zeagle from Divers Direct?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. This very well may be a valid issue, however do not have enough experience to back up the claim.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

What your dive shop told you is wrong. While my shop certainly encourages their students to by from them, they know people get gear from all different places. That's one reason they give a significant discount to students (15 % to 20%) I am all for loyalty to the shop, but to tell a student a quality BC purchased from another source raises "liability issues" does not ring true. I for one question the ethics of the shop. Time to have a face to face with management there, especially after you collect a few dozen responses her that are most likely to echo this one.
DivemasterDennis

This seemed very strange to me as well. I did not understand the logic here. The shop name is Hatts Diving Headquarters here in Melbourne FL. Just off 192 & US1. The owners name is Mike. And is now trying to work out a deal with us to get a BCD through his shop. The divemaster / instructor in her first class last night is who told us this information. He seemed upset that this was not discussed with me prior to signing up for classes with them. As apparently this sort of thing happens quite frequently with them. At this point I didnt mind sending back the other BCD as it had never seen any water. However the loyalty of this shop is somewhat in question to me now. The instructor came out and spoke with "Mike" (Owner) and expressed his concern. Which in turn was told to my wife that they will try to find a loaner Zeagle Zena for the classes and that I can work out payments with them sense it was their fault. Just does not seem logical In my opinion.

Agree with everybody else. I support the local shop because I know that they don't make money on classes and have been incredibly generous with my air fills. I do, however, as a thrifty consumer, give them an opportunity to match (or get close enough) anything that I find elsewhere and don't have a problem buying the brand that I want from outside of their store. You shouldn't feel guilty. I understand if they might want everybody in the same BCD for training purposes, but you shouldn't have to spend that kind of money so fast. What if she can't equalize and never be able to dive?

Everyone above is correct however, I will take a slightly different look at how to handle this: The dive shop should (the one I did my training with did) supply all needed equipment as part of the cost of classes. I do not remember needing to rent as being an extra charge for taking any classes. If they have problems with her equipment simply have them use their equipment for this student and then she can dive in her own equipment after certification.

Don't make this your opening line, but rather you closing line to the owner: "you realize you just created an environment in which two local divers will never spend money with you again in the future."

I find it questionable that a shop would recommended you buy something that expensive for class. Heck she may not end up liking it, then you would be stuck with a BC. Learn to dive first, then buy gear. This sounds like a way to simply get someone to spend money. (I view it like the "Express Oil Change" shops that offer cheep oil changes so they can find any additional services they can recommend you add on. Simply sit in one and listen to staff hit up every customer that comes in while you are waiting on your car. They know some will bite and they earn extra money, some of it questionable.)

Run away. Don't walk. IMO.

Could the store have such a policy? Sure. They could require all students to dye their hair purple. But it doesn't mean the policy is supported by the certifying agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom