Must gear be purchased from the LDS you are getting Open Water certified at?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they were really smart, they would make the equipment the loss leader, make the training, service and air fills the profit center and run the internet dealers out of business.

But that would mean they would give up the occasional high profit margin gear sale, especially to unknowing newbies, and the manufacturese priced protection they enjoy, maybe even demand. And their problem competitor would be every shop in the area.

But that would mean they would give up the occasional high profit margin gear sale, especially to unknowing newbies, and the manufacturese priced protection they enjoy, maybe even demand. And their problem competitor would be every shop in the area.

It's easier to complete with a few local shops than "the whole world".

No worries though. The shops that figured out that their business model was broken, and changed it are already doing well. The shops that haven't figured it out yet, probably won't.

flots.

I find that I can get good deals from the owner of my LDS. If one of the regular sales rep is there I can only get the standard 10% off or a price match. But having been a student, I automatically get 10%. The price match is great if you have already found what you want online and can just go get it in a store. But if its something that is being suggested from the store, I'm going to want to research the product ahead of time either on scuba board or elsewhere unless I get excited by the price

Once I had even received an email about holiday discounts galore or something. I went that weekend to see what deals were to be had. I didnt mention the ad and neither did the sales rep say anything about any specials, just the standard 10%. It just felt uncomfortable having to ask about the email

I try to be loyal to my LDS but a budget only stretches so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom