MR12 reliability? What model Mares regulator do I have and is it Nitrox compatible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffryg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I am new to SB...I have an old Mares regulator which was given to me about 20+ years ago. It has not been used for about 19 of those years (sitting up in the attic). I brought it to my LDS and they said it's an MR 12, rebuilt it and said it's now in great shape. I'm just getting back into diving. I'll be taking a Nitrox course and traveling to the Caribbean later next year. I plan to do only warm water recreational diving and would like to know if this regulator is an MR 12 (serial number on first stage is M50629) and is Nitrox compatible? From other information on this and other websites it seems that this is a very reliable long lasting regulator? Thanks

After your course you will find out that "generally" most equipment is fine for Nitrox under 40%. As always, check the manufacturers recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I was hoping one of the Mares reps would be able to tell me what model regulator this was from the serial number. Here's a few photos in the event someone recognizes them. If anyone has any opinions on reliability that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
datetaken
datetaken

The MR-12 is one of the oldest reg models around and is a knock of of the US Diver Conshelf, arguably the best first stage ever made....and still being made for the military so you have a very good first stage. After a proper rebuild it will give you many years of reliable service. Don't let someone tell you some new whiz bang first stage will perform better.. it won't. The second stages varied over the years but have always been good reliable regs. It will serve you well for another 20 years if you take care of it.

Thanks Herman, much appreciated. Were you able to see the pictures I posted? I had problems uploading them and I'm not sure they ever made it.

Back
Top Bottom