Do Dacor regulators have *any* value in 2021?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
(Yeah, I know we're a week away yet: Close enough.)

As you no doubt already know, Dacor was a SCUBA equipment manufacturer that dates back to the 1950's (ref) but was acquired by Mares in 1999 (ref). I wasn't able to find specific details online, but my recollection and understanding is while a few Dacor-labelled Mares-design offerings survived a brief time after the merger, practically all of the existing Dacor-designed equipment ceased to be offered within a very short time.

The other element of the merger is that support for those older Dacor regs went away at approximately that time, too: Mares did not manufacturer any additional components for these regs, and in the interim any inventory of replacement parts has been practically exhausted. (That reference above for the merger dates from 2005, and even at that time it describes the fact that parts availability was limited to only a few specific models.)

Unfortunately, unlike a, say, 1980's-vintage Sherwood reg set (which uses a small number of extremely generic replaceable parts that are still available, assuming it doesn't have the crimped-in HP seat!), the Dacor regulators seem to have a larger number of more-unique parts, which is even more true the newer the regulator is.

So, with that long-winded backstory out of the way: do Dacor regulators have *any* value in 2021?

Why do I ask? Because the world seems to be awash in Dacor equipment. Open Craigslist and search for SCUBA: 2/3 of the ads will probably have Dacor regs in them! :) Of course, by appearance they almost always tend to be from between 1970 and 1990: my guess is that they haven't left the garage in 30 years or more...

The hard part for some (non-diver) Craigslist sellers to understand is that, while the equipment may look practically brand new! (and it doesn't, but whatever), it's *life* *support* equipment, and who wants to trust their life to 30 year old rubber?!? And if you can't get parts for it, what are you supposed to do?

(By the way, same thing with neoprene: who wants to use stiff or dry-rotted 30-year-old wetsuits? Despite the fact that your grandparents paid *real* *money* for that, neoprene does not age like fine wine...)

Personally, I have *zero* desire to use 30+ year old equipment. But sometimes there's one element in that big pile of junk that's usable: a tank, or a pair of Jetfins, or whatever. But I usually don't even bother to make an offer, because they won't believe me that the rest of the stuff has *zero* value.

Having said that, there are some of you out there using regulators from a half-century ago -- that you've hand-built replacement parts for!

So that's my question: is there anyone for whom Dacor regs have any value? We're not talking vintage double-hose stuff: single hose, yoke first stage likely with limited ports, metal second stage, maybe a plastic octo, and a big, bulky 2-unit console?

While we're at it, do the old 1980's BC's have any value, either? You know, the ones that look more like a fancy snorkeling jacket or winter vest than a modern jacket BC, usually with the old inflators with the flat metal buttons for inflate and exhaust? Again, I'm not touching it (but I'm BP/W, anyway), but is there *anyone* out there who thinks these things have any value?

(For you telco nerds out there: reminds me of Nortel equipment. I had an executive from a VoIP telephone system provider tell me, "Our biggest competition is from a company that went bankrupt 15 years ago... :) )

The short answer is not much and even that has a big "depends" with it. I have no issues diving 50 yo gear (I often do) as long as it has been serviced. Dacor was bad for using odd ball parts that you just can't find an alternative part unlike USD or Scubapro. They have plenty of OEM and aftermarket parts available. That said, some of the simpler unbalanced piston stages are easy to find substitute parts for and are perfectly fine to dive once serviced.
On the other hand, Dacor made some really nice second stages that breath well. They use common parts and are easily serviced. If I were looking for solid, easy to service second stages, I would not hesitate to pick up an older Dacor just for the second stages if it were fairly cheap. As for the console, you can always take the SPG out of it and use it bare..

Bottom line, if you can find a Pacer 150 or Olympic 100 (both simple piston regs) cheap, you could very easily make a nice entry level reg for just a few bucks. But you are right, most who have them think they are worth a lot more than they are.

As for the Nortel, give me an Opt 11 with a 2616 over any VOIP system....way more dependable and when the network goes out, you can still call someone to fix it. :)
I serviced Opt 11, 21, 61 and 81's for years

I still have my Dacor reg. First one I ever got.
Sedimental value only. I want to say there was an issue with an exhaust valve and it was a unicorn Dacor part. That was my cue to hang it up and get a modern reg set. Even if I could get it fixed that one time, who knows what unavailable part will strike next. At which point I will be someplace and won't have anything functional. Dacor was good for things like oversized low pressure hoses and odd port sizes as well. It was a nice reg. But has no value in the water (to me).

As for the Nortel, give me an Opt 11 with a 2616 over any VOIP system....way more dependable and when the network goes out, you can still call someone to fix it. :)
I serviced Opt 11, 21, 61 and 81's for years

We need another thread for this. I have a Norstar 6x16 in my house. Intimately familiar with DMS and SL-1. I had an option 11C, 21C and 51C in my lab. That’s an instant flashback!

Just as any other regulator one already owns; it has value if:
a) It performs well enough for the diving you do.
b) It saves you from buying another regulator-i.e suitable as a backup or loaner.
c) Serves another purpose like filling tires. Or, like the easily adjustable one I have on my flow bench, use it to quickly change supply (IP) pressure while adjusting second stages.

But trying to sell a Dacor (especially a first stage) is usually a waste of time. Best to find someone who likes them and donate it.

I've got a couple of Dacor seconds I use occasionally, because I like shiny metal seconds. Other than that I prefer to tinker with other brands.

About 2016 Mares made Dacor branded regs and dive gear for West Marine. Looking in the West Marine catalog today, there were Dacor fins, but the regs sold now are SEAC. Don't know what happened.

SL-1, thats the one I forgot!
I also worked on 1A1s, 1A2s Rohm, and Harris

I remember Cisco’s first handset. It did not have a hold button. We chuckled and said that they had no chance of succeeding in telephony. Do you remember the Octel VM boxes? Two 2616s without handsets. Dem was da days.

I finally threw out my Dacor reg set, which was my wife's gear from ages ago.

The computer though was an air integrated console model branded Dacor but I think made by Oceanic. That stayed in service until last summer with one of my kids on shallow dives, when it finally went belly up.

I bought a pristine Dacor 900 first stage in 2010 with 2 Pacer seconds from someone from here SB.
I'm not using it any more as I bought from a friend a SP MK25 + A700, however that reg set is still being used by my daugther who is also a diver, though she dives a lot less than me.
That Dacor 900 has already more that 100 dives done by me.
I love that piece of gear and I will keep it forever.

Back
Top Bottom