Mr Chattertons Self Reliance Article...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me, unsafe means someone who is not on board with me in regards to equipment, training, experience, etc. For a shallow OW dive, I'll dive with nearly anyone. As the dive plan gets sportier, the list of buddies gets short...ier.

The chance of human error always exists. For all I know, I might be the one making the error some day. To me, this is one of the best parts of the buddy system.

Nice.

Not sure, but if you mean Jim Lapenta, I can answer that.

I assume he's talking about another Jim.

And not to be disrespectful, but the idea that one is immune from human error just because of agency affiliation should never be fostered. That was, hopefully, the lesson learned. I don't assume I dive with safe divers - that is a dependent condition.

And not to be disrespectful, but the idea that one is immune from human error just because of agency affiliation should never be fostered. That was, hopefully, the lesson learned. I don't assume I dive with safe divers - that is a dependent condition.

who has said that? I think you're pulling this idea out of your ass.
no one knows better than people who dove with Jim that even the best divers can make mistakes

I think Dan was getting pretty close.
I'm sure a few divers set out to be intentionally unsafe but most, I suspect, just make a mistake or neglect something they did not think would matter (like checking Mod's). Unsafe is an attitude. Part of that attitude is assuming one is safe.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, just saying one should not go too far down the belief hole that one, and one's buddies are automatically safe.

I think Dan was getting pretty close.
I'm sure a few divers set out to be intentionally unsafe but most, I suspect, just make a mistake or neglect something they did not think would matter (like checking Mod's). Unsafe is an attitude. Part of that attitude is assuming one is safe.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, just saying one should not go too far down the belief hole that one, and one's buddies are automatically safe.

I think dan volker has a fundies rec pass or something. hardly the arbiter of all things GUE he comes off as

I think dan volker has a fundies rec pass or something. hardly the arbiter of all things GUE he comes off as
I have never "tried to come off as" an ideal example of GUE....That should be a GUE Instructor like Guy or Errol or Bob Sherwood--someone with all the training, and all the background to fully explain GUE ideas. That is not me. I can fully explain DIR.

How did the buddy system help Jim?

If you're trying to make a point about the death of my good friend, dive buddy, mentor, and teammate Jim who drowned at Whiskey Still in 2011, he would have drowned with or without the buddy system. NO ONE, including him, followed the gas switching procedure we have in place. It doesn't matter how good of a procedure you have if no one follows it. These lessons are something that is VERY fresh in the minds of all of us.

The buddy system doesn't alleviate the individual diver of gas planning or problem solving. It doesn't mean a diver no longer has to check what gas he's going to breath. The idea is that it adds an additional layer of options on top of all the usual ones. But only if the procedures are followed.

If you get complacent, don't do the right checks, don't verify your gas, don't plan your reserves properly, don't maintain your gear, mind, and body, it doesn't matter how many people are in the water.

I have never "tried to come off as" an ideal example of GUE....That should be a GUE Instructor like Guy or Errol or Bob Sherwood--someone with all the training, and all the background to fully explain GUE ideas. That is not me. I can fully explain DIR.
I have already done more 280 foot Exploration dives than most divers ever will, using my DIR skill sets. I don't need to get a GUE Tech Card for me to feel comfortable doing a tech dive..... I went through fundies, to learn how DIR had evolved into what is now GUE, and how I could insert into a GUE team of a bunch of my friends, and function as a team member with the present expectations of team as GUE has developed.

Again, I will speak as a DIR....and if I need to discuss GUE ideas, I can discuss them, but will typically suggest getting Guy or Errol into the discussion, if it involves anything that I think deviates from DIR in any significant way. I believe most here, will agree that this is how I post.... If not, that is the way "I should" be posting :)

we know...

Most of the divers that I won't dive with hold GUE certs.

There's also other divers that don't hold any GUE certs at all that I trust.

Back
Top Bottom