Mr Chattertons Self Reliance Article...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I've been following correctly, they seem train to only save their own kind and avoid any situation where they may be called upon to provide assistance to others. Thus, they are correct. John does not belong on that boat.
John says he will fight off marauding unsafe divers........ DIR divers would just not dive with unsafe divers....Don't you think you are twisting words a bit?
Semantics aside, neither John Chatterton nor any DIR divers I know, have any PLANS of sharing gas with unsafe divers on a TECH Dive.....

Now on a recreational dive, we ( DIR) will relax the Rules and often try to help Unsafe Divers become more aware of better and safer ways to dive, and to no longer end up as unsafe divers.....But you don't do this stuff on a real tech dive. George and I started doing DIR Demo dives back around 1998, just for this purpose.

Quite possibly. Just pointing out how you guys might be starting look to outsiders.

Once again, people allow a select few taint their impression of an entire group. Only a couple people from both sides have participated in these threads......that should not reflect the entire group they may (or may not) claim to represent.

You (the general "you") may not like Dan Volker's approach or philosophy, but he does not speak for every diver that has similar training. His outlooks may be slightly more or less hardcore. The same goes for John Chatterton's approach. You may or may not like his approach or philosophy......but likewise, he does not speak for every diver with similar training/experience. That is what is wrong with divers......we tend to see one or two hardcore divers (could be DIR or any other style/agency, brand....whatever) and equate the entire (for that DIR or other style/agency, brand....whatever) population to that one diver. This is rarely an accurate way of determining what makes up a population.

Quite possibly. Just pointing out how you guys might be starting look to outsiders.

"starting to look"?!?!

Stop . . . Yer killin' me here. There's a reason they are referred to as The Borg.

I'm sure John can take comfort in the fact that "they" wouldn't dive with Cousteau either if he was still around. lmao

I'm sure John can take comfort in the fact that "they" wouldn't dive with Cousteau either if he was still around. lmao

I seem to remember that Cousteau dynamited reefs in his time too--just because things were done in a particular way in the "good old days" doesn't make them right.

I seem to remember that Cousteau dynamited reefs in his time too--just because things were done in a particular way in the "good old days" doesn't make them right.

Do you have any links to any evidence that he actually did that? Some folks tell the story he did that to get into the Blue Hole in Belize but it never happened. Of course he may have done it somewhere else.

Do you have any links to any evidence that he actually did that? Some folks tell the story he did that to get into the Blue Hole in Belize but it never happened. Of course he may have done it somewhere else.

I don’t remember which expedition they were on but they did indeed blow up part of some reef. It was a common thing back then. Like dynamiting fish to collect samples, they did that too.

Jacques Cousteau & his team descend into ?the... | Old Hollywood

Unfortunately, the film is now equally famous for the damage Cousteau & his divers inflicted on marine life during filming - they blow up a coral reef, kill hundreds of fish, leave no sea turtle unmolested (they are especially fond of hitching joyrides on the backs of the turtles, who struggle under the extra weight to reach the surface to breathe), and fatally injure a baby whale with their ship. The blood attracts several sharks, who promptly devour the whale. Enraged by this, the divers harpoon all the sharks, pull them up to the ship, & proceed to brutally hack them to death with axes. “The crew becomes angry with the sharks, and fight to avenge the baby whale,” narrates Cousteau - this time it’s personal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom