Mr. C Boat Schedule?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow this crashed and burned :catfight:

Dear Scuba board members. I wish to apologize for the way I responded to complaints yesterday. I am new to this type of social media. I was embarrassed and a bit defensive when I saw the comments. Pardon my abruptness. I reacted poorly. I had called a man about his hood though, but I had assumed that it was the fellow who was complaining so that’s why I made that inappropriate remark about equipment responsibility. We have been carrying spares and extra equipment just to make sure that if there was a problem and if a diver forgot something or something broke he won’t get stuck. Subsequently we have saved a few dives in that way. Sorry again for seeming being short. We on the boat are really not that way.
Also I did contact the other fellow Chriss or Mark privately and did honor his complaints. I was not aware that someone had given him that offer until later in the day. Mike Bove our dive/ web master had been studying at Avalon during the week and just happened by the boat and we discussed it. Originally this special was offered as an opening special. It was Mike’s idea so I went with it. With the rising cost of fuel however it would have been impossible to continue such an offer. I am new to this type of social media but here on out I will begin to have a presence on Scuba Board because I know that we have something good to offer the diving community. Safety is our highest consideration but this is never at the expense of what diving is also about, Adventure, fun and good fitness, not to mention friendship.
Sincerely Patrick Fealy

Dear Scuba board members. I wish to apologize for the way I responded to complaints yesterday. I am new to this type of social media. I was embarrassed and a bit defensive when I saw the comments. Pardon my abruptness. I reacted poorly. I had called a man about his hood though, but I had assumed that it was the fellow who was complaining so that’s why I made that inappropriate remark about equipment responsibility.

Fair enough. Everybody is humand and fallible.

Thanks for coming in here Pat. I was dismayed to see how this thread devolved yesterday - it was not representative at all of the Pat that I know, so I'm glad that you have come in here and made an effort to clear things up. It takes a pretty big person to acknowledge a mistake an openly apologize for it.

A couple people have posted snarky little comments in this thread for no apparent reason - they didn't have a complaint with the boat, they have no connection with this boat. What's bothering me is that it seems as if they posted for the sole purpose of expressing a bit of snide joy over watching someone else's misfortune. I'm disappointed to see that.

Those who had difficulty either getting hold of the boat, or dealing with your specific issues, you all now have Pat's phone number and know that he will respond to you. I'm relieved to see that it's all getting resolved, and hope that the SoCal Scubaboard community will give Pat the benefit of the doubt and move on from this.

I just wanted to make a couple of observations. First, I personally would like to see these guys succeed. I met them as a customer, when I did a day trip on them right after they started back up. I was impressed with several things...mainly, their drive and passion for doing a great job and serving our local dive community. I have no financial, family, or other connection with the boat - I just think they are very sincere and earnest, and have the right attitude about what a SoCal dive boat should be. They are not the most luxurious - there's no hot tub on Mr. C! - but they are super-friendly, super-safe, and go out of their way to ensure that everyone has the best time possible. Nobody is ignored on that boat, that's for sure.

I've been on boats where I felt anonymous. I'm not going to mention names, but there are certain boats I've been on where I felt like I was just churned through - just a nameless person in a wetsuit. There's one boat (I won't name it) that kept my $250 when I had to cancel the day before the trip because of a heartbreaking family medical emergency. I was well aware that on their website they state that if you cancel within 48 hours of the trip, you get no refund. I called them the day before, sobbing and barely able to talk, asking them if they would make an exception given the circumstances...if they would be willing to show a little compassion. They said no. They weren't even full - my cancellation didn't cost them anything, since they didn't turn anyone else down. And I would have happily gone out on them another day, so it would have evened out. But they chose to keep my money. I didn't argue about it, never posted about it, never talked about it to anyone, because yes, they had the right to keep my $250. But I've never gone on them again.

THEY acted like an anonymous business dealing with a faceless customer. That's not how the guys on Mr. C act.

In spite of his imprudent introductory posts :wink:, Pat really is a great person. I have learned from him just how challenging (and expensive!) it is to run a dive boat business. He has sunk everything into this business, and into improving the boat - completely redid the head, fixed up the bunk room, made uncountable mechanical improvements, and there's still more to do. This is not a way for someone to get rich - someone would only take this on if they have a true passion for it. So try to keep that in mind - he's doing this for us. Pat goes out on every trip - and how many SoCal boats do you know where the owner is there for every trip? He's a talker, and will chat up pretty much every person on the boat. That's how I got to know him.

Stan, the captain, is more reserved - probably because he's so focused. He is very detail-oriented, and runs a tight ship. Being a dive boat captain is also not a way to get rich - and it also means taking on a helluva big responsibility (if the "Drifting Dan" case has taught us anything, it's that the buck stops with the captain, regardless of anything he actually did or didn't do). When we're not on the hook, Stan is in the pilot house doing his job. Once we're anchored, he's down on deck helping with fills, fins and cameras, and making sure that the roll calls are done perfectly.

I hope we can move past this and embrace this boat as part of our community, and give them the opportunity to serve us. Because that's all they want.

And I'm sorry I wasn't around yesterday to get more involved. I was in the midst of Day 1 of my GUE Fundamentals class. Right now my brain is stuffed so full of new information, I feel like I'm bleeding out of my ears! And I'm just hoping I can translate what I learned in the classroom, into behaviors and skills. Wish me luck!

My opinion.. That's the internet for you. Misunderstandings, misinterpreting people's tone in text, talking to people and mistaking them for someone else. I for one have had my share of stupid internet arguments and have since become very careful with what I say, hehe.

All you need is a tiny insignificant misunderstanding or miscommunication and and things can really start rolling downhill fast. I think there are so many things missing when communicating through text. A lot more than we consciously realize when talking in person. Personally, I think it's very understandable. No harm done I hope.

And personally $115 sounds much better than the $90 without food :eat:

Although I've still never been on a dive boat before.. :dramaqueen:

A couple people have posted snarky little comments in this thread for no apparent reason - they didn't have a complaint with the boat, they have no connection with this boat.

If you meant mine, it's because when I see people in the customer service business (side or primary) showing what appears to be disdain for said customers it really rubs me the wrong way and I like to show some solidarity by throwing a little harmless ribbing out there.

In fairness to Patrick, I'm still miffed at the Sand Dollar guy for calling Cody stupid over on divematrix, and the SSA thread is fresh in my mind, so I may have jumped the gun.

Back
Top Bottom