Moving to SF Bay Area - bring my tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real question is will you have room to store your tanks, or are you going to have room mates in all of your closets? :wink:

And don't forget to give Mendocino some love. Awesome shore diving up there. I would kill to have access to something like that here in Texas!

-Chris

I was thinking live in a shack and rent a storage unit for the scuba gear

@sea_otter can give you more insight on those boats.

Regarding boats, looks like from your profile you have done some GUE training. If you're interested, check out Bay Area Underwater Explorers. We run Rec or Tech charters for GUE certified members almost every weekend on the Escapade. Fun group. :) Feel free to reach out if you'd like any more info, and welcome to the area.

Why not be efficient and just live in the storage unit with your scuba gear. :wink:
Hey don’t laugh, it’s already been thought of!
Did you see on the news the burned out house up for sale in the Mountain view area? 900K for a house which will need to be bulldozed and start over. The contractors and developers are fighting over it and they expect there to be a bidding war.
I’m glad I’m making it happen for myself up here in Santa Rosa. Closer to my beloved Mendocino too.

I know more than a couple people who work high tech jobs but live in vans. Work provides meals, gym, showers, laundry service...

But that's not exclusively limited to silicon valley. A friend of mine spent several months living in the Manhattan Google offices before they realized he didn't actually have an apartment of his own.

Almost done relocating. Weather sure is nice.

Not too impressed with my limited interactions with dive shops so far. First one I called charges $22 for a VIP. Second one charges $16 for steel (not bad) but $20 for aluminum (they insist on doing an eddy current test on all AL tanks, regardless of age).

Still a lot more shops I can call, so hopefully I find one I like, or most likely, some I can mix and match depending on what I need done.

I've heard good things about Bamboo Reef - may have even stopped in there once on a business trip. Bamboo Reef Scuba Diving Centers

there aren't really any that are all out terrible. you just have to accept they all need to make a buck to stay open because the area is so expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom