Moving to NZ - Expectations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fweber

Contributor
Reaction score
If I'm on the computer, I'm approximately 100 mete
So, my wife ,to be, has been offered a position in Auckland and we're heading there from Bermuda in our Spring/ NZ Fall. I'm wondering what I should expect from diving in NZ? What are the common gear denominators? And trying to decide if it makes sense to sell kit off here and replace in NZ or pay 8.71usd/kg to ship stuff?

Tanks- Does NZ have 25M neck threads, 3/4", or a mix? I've got bands and manifolds for 4 twin sets plus a load of other tanks. I'm trying to decide if I should sell them here, bring just the hardware and rebuild sets there or ship the lot.

Regulator support- I have a pile of all Apeks regs. We have a local distributor that supports them well, has most parts in stock, and sells those parts at a reasonable price. How is NZ's support for Apeks regs? Like here, or more similiar to the States, where Aqualung controls things quite strictly and most the shops make it a headache to get parts? What's the average price for a DS4-(a-x)tx50? If not Apeks, what is the dominant brand in NZ?

Primarily DIN? or Yoke? on charter tanks.

I guess that's it for the moment. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by.

Thanks,

Gidday fweber
Can I suggest you have a browse or even post your question on this forum www.scubadive.net.nz :: Index.

My brief comments would be -
1. gear in NZ is pretty expensive - small market a long way from most places so shipping might be cost effective.
2. Apeks are quite a big name and shouldn't be hard to service in Auckland but I am not an Aucklander
3.Yoke is much more common than Din but both are around

Cheers

Alison

1. gear in NZ is pretty expensive - small market a long way from most places so

fyi, an aussie & SB'er (Chris) at www.divetub.com.au is happy to deal with NZ anytime :wink:

enjoy NZ..... and you are only one plane ride away from the paradise of Nuie island, part of NZ, (plus many many other islands) so enjoy

Alison,
Thanks for the link. That's what I needed. I"ll do a little reading around there and I'm sure I can get the answers I'm looking for.

AlmightyW,
I'll look at Nuie. But, I suspect the miss's will expect me to work for a while once I make it. Get this, and your hubby and maybe yourself would love it, I'm sailing our boat from here in BDA via Virgin Islands, Panama, Galapagos, Tuamotus, Tahiti, Southern Cooks, Tonga, Fiji. I'll probably be ready to get dry for a while by the time I make it to Auckland.

Know anyone that would like to go for a boat ride?

And Thanks,

fweber,
just carry your gear in the boat! for US$8.71/kg it worth the hassle unless yours is a very small boat.

BTW, I will be in Panama in March sailing/diving in my brother's Pahi 31... that ride offer sounds interesting!!

--
Matias - Taragui - Alistando un Tanenui

When one has good wine,
a graceful boat and a maiden's love,
why envy the immortal gods? - Li T'ai-po

The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.

I would! But it won't all fit. It's only a 41 footer and we'll be 3 or 4 onboard for the legs from Panama through Tahiti. We'll definately carry sufficient for single tank recreational dives and an emergency kit of a Al 50 rigged for immediate immersion. But, all my tech gear will have to travel by other means. Or, get sold here and replaced there.

Back
Top Bottom