Moving tanks across country

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lead_carrier:
Hide them in the trunk of your car. :11:

That is exactly what I was thinking!

During the summer mine are almost always in the trunk unless their being refilled. I dive about every weekend. Not worried about the heat build-up in the trunk during the day...from one estimate my trunk would have to get up to 400 degrees before rupture.

krmayo:
That is exactly what I was thinking!

During the summer mine are almost always in the trunk unless their being refilled. I dive about every weekend. Not worried about the heat build-up in the trunk during the day...from one estimate my trunk would have to get up to 400 degrees before rupture.

It's not so much a probability that the tank would rupture, but more that the burst disk would let go. If the tank was secured, it probably wouldn't do much harm.

Tanks? what tanks, I didn't lock the tanks in the trunk under some stuff!(make sure the shipping company has ignition key)How did those get in there??

I had the same problem. But I also had three sets of doubles and another six stage/deco tanks plus two little argon tanks. Shipping was a bit expensive. I also had a few guns and some ammunition (which moving companies also won't touch) and some expensive guitars (which they'd happily touch but after they dropped them a few times I'd never be able to replace them).

So I rented a car and drove across the country from Seattle to DC. Took my oldest son with me. Best decision I ever made. Everything fit and we had a great time. It's worth considering. (When I go back, the stuff is going back the same way.....)

Good luck either way,

Doc

Who is paying the moving company? If they can't cite law, I'd be looking elsewhere for a mover who wants the whole job.

I mailed a lot of tanks from Hawaii to Washington state. Sending aluminum 80's them in groups of two is under the 70-pound Parcel Post limit.
In the continental US, Fedex is THE cheapest way to ship tanks over shorter distances except for using Amtrak if that's available. I shipped a bunch of tanks from Seattle to Miami on the train. It was a slight nuisance getting to both terminals. Well, it was really a royal pain in the *****, but you can't say stuff like that on the Scubaboard.
When I ship tanks again, I''l use Fedex.

Swing by New York and leave them at my house. How hard of a solution was that?

I'm with the rest of the rebels. . . Pack em' tight and put em' in the trunk. . . .

In the car trunk or a trunk that is being shipped. If they don't know what is in there then they can't complain. Come on, it isn't like they will explode and catch everything on fire. Drain them down to a couple 100 and pack em.

Ahh, so talking to the moving company, I managed to get someone higher ranking. The conversation went like this.
"Look I know you guys are all freaked out about having these tanks on your truck, but if I take the valves off then they basically become flowerpots."

"umm, hang on a minute..."

(((hold Muzak)))
"..Umm, ok, but let me talk to my boss, so we can figure out how much extra to charge you"

Jackasses!

I just shipped two HP steel 80s (individually) cross country using the US Postal Service and it only cost $15 each. Depending on how many tanks you have, shipping them to yourself is likely the easiest solution. I didn't have to remove the valves or anything. Just drained them to 300 psi and wrapped the valves in bubblewrap and secured with tape.

Back
Top Bottom