Moving tanks across country

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

babar

Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy

I'm in the process of a move from Philly to southern California. The moving company Absolutely wont transport my tanks, even empty, even with the valves off :shakehead . The car is being transported by a different company, but same deal, a big, fat, NO. Can anyne give me any advice on getting the damn things across country. I'm gonna be flying across, and already am transporting dogs, and luggage on the plane. Any advice, Anyone??

Babar :429:

I would imagine UPS ground would be the most cost effective. I know that is how I got my two PST's that I ordered online when I could not find them locally. They were shipped straight from the manufacturer with a little pressure in them (not sure the exact pressure as I took them straight to my LDS for a quick look over and a fill).

I'm in the shipping business. Depending on how many tanks you have, you can ship up to 150 lbs. with either carrier. Open the valves completely and box. If you have many tanks put them in a box and strap to a pallet. Call a trucking company to get rates and arrange for a pickup. If your box is over 150 lbs. Fedex and UPS have a freight division that can pickup and deliver. You'd need the dimensions of your box and weight to get a quote. UPS phone number is 1-800-742-5877, Fedex is 1-800-238-5355. Problem solved.

I've shipped them Fedex ground. They seem to be about the cheapest. You may check with Greyhound as well. I know people that ship heavy autoparts through them.

Scott

Why? Why do the moving companies refue to ship your tanks? Is there any insurance or legal issue only in U.S. or what? What if you are moving to other countries?

babar:
Howdy

I'm in the process of a move from Philly to southern California. The moving company Absolutely wont transport my tanks, even empty, even with the valves off :shakehead . The car is being transported by a different company, but same deal, a big, fat, NO. Can anyne give me any advice on getting the damn things across country. I'm gonna be flying across, and already am transporting dogs, and luggage on the plane. Any advice, Anyone??Babar :429:

UPS Ground will happily take tanks that have less than (50?) PSI in them..

Terry

I find it funny that a moving company won't take them with the valves off, but an airline will.

They must not understand the definition of HAZMAT. Once the valves are off, they fall out of that category of shipment.

Curious. Is the company moving your car using an enclosed trailer, or a flatbed/auto hauler? I've done both, and neither asked me to drain any fluids, including the fuel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom