Movement During Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgrolem

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
There are many elements that control decompression. Three of the most important are the gas physics (controlled by time, depth, and the mixes you breathe), blood flow, and physical activity. My question concerns the last two and the things that we can do during decompression to minimize risk from deep dives on trimix etc.

I have run into two mutually exclusive views. :06: 1) Minimize movement during deco. Movement excites micronuclei inflation, so keep those joints still, and 2) Keep moving! Flex all of your joints on a regular schedule. Keep the blood flow going to carry away dissolved gases.

My question to the med types is: Which view does the evidence support and what would you recommend for divers decompressing in mid-water? Movement, No movement, or something in between?

I’m not a med type, but find it coincidental that you should ask that just now. At yesterday’s session of the 31st Annual Meeting of the Pacific Chapter of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Society, here in Colorado Springs, Karl Huggins of the USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber recommended mild activity during stops to increase inert gas washout. He also recommended against holding things tightly, or bending limbs tightly, which would decrease inert gas washout, especially in that limb. It was part of a much broader presentation, so he did not cite specific evidence, but his credentials are excellent.

knotical:
mild activity
This to me seems best.
Rick

Thanks guys! This is the procedure that i have been following for a while -- mild rotations of wrists and elbows every 5 minutes or so with all gear stowed so that I am not holding onto anything.

Back
Top Bottom