Regulator failure on a solo deco dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrutch

Contributor
Reaction score
This past Sunday, I went for a dip in my local large body of water, Lake Tahoe. My typical dive is right around 100 minutes, on air, with some mandatory deco, and Sunday's dive was pretty typical. I went to Sand Harbor and dove Diver's Cove (not my favorite, but they shovel the snow here, so getting to the water is easy). Temps were around 32F/0C outside and 44F/7C in the water. I was diving two HP100s sidemount. In the parking lot, I had some trouble getting a reg to seat. I'm not a reg tech (yet), so forgive the following: the bit that takes an allen key and holds the DIN o-ring was a little loose. I tightened it by hand, put everything together, confirmed it was working, and thought nothing of it.

The first part of the dive went swimmingly. I took some pictures at the Project Baseline station to report on visibility, and then made my way to the deep portion of the dive. About an hour in, the reg that hadn't been seating properly started to bubble a little. When I reached back and grabbed the SPG to check tank pressure, the movement on the reg dramatically increased the amount of bubbling. At that point, it was time to turn the dive, obviously. I had 1600 psi in the free flowing tank, which I shut down, and 2,000 psi in the one I'd switched to. I also had 17 minutes of deco at 10 feet to complete (GF 65/80). On the ascent, I tried turning on the free flowing cylinder again, and it seated and worked for a couple breaths before starting to free flow again. I finished my dive on the other cylinder, even staying in the shallows for another 10 or so minutes after clearing my deco obligation. Ultimately, I exited with 600 psi and 1600 psi after 97 minutes, and the worst part of the dive was being lopsided from only breathing one tank.

I hesitated to post anything about this because it didn't even fluff up my SAC rate. It was a dive site I know well, using equipment I'm very comfortable with. I had factored in such issues and had plenty of gas to complete my deco, even considering one cylinder completely lost, which it wasn't. I've done more than 150 solo deco dives, and this is the first real incident. Even though the reg failed at basically the "worst" time (i.e., after I'd already racked up nearly the full amount of planned deco), planning, familiarity, and training made it a non-issue.

I recently picked up a set of doubles with the plan of re-familiarizing myself with the setup. I've been diving SM exclusively for a couple years, which I switched to from doubles. It occurred to me that the experience I described above would be different in a couple meaningful ways had I been in a twinset. First, identifying and addressing the problem would have been slightly more difficult with it behind my head. Second, after addressing the issue, I would have had access to all the remaining gas, not just some. A bit of a wash, but it has made me look at getting a hand mirror.

This is one I'm going to keep from my very understanding wife, but I wanted to share it somewhere, hopefully for someone's benefit. Safe diving!

GX010534_1671639528553.jpg

Showing the camera the free flow while on deco

I had the same issue with a DIN reg (Aqua Lung). The tech told me that it is a common problem caused by twisting the body of the first stage rather than the knob when you remove the reg from the tank. If you do a little bit each time, before you know it you have backed out the bolt. It never happened to me before and now I am more aware of it.

Probably should have just called the dive and made sure the reg was definitely working properly. Looks like you handled everything alright. Seems like it wasn’t a huge deal on this dive but it absolutely could have been…..

Thanks for the story. Not that I have EVER dove side mount, but I would think this would have been a good opportunity to practice feathering the valve - turning it on and off for each breath - or at least do that for a while until your hand got tired and you were bored with it.

I was going to comment on those fine looking fins :wink:

I had similar thing happen to one of those, you should send it back so they can make sure it’s ok, do you have another first to use while it’s away?

Glad it all worked out, and gas planning is obviously an essential thing.

And you have just demonstrated there is a reason for a torques spec on that part of the assembly... it likely extruded the o-ring and possibly tore it, and replacing it was more the solution aside from proper tightening/torque...

Nothing to do at all with age or number of dives.... what seems to happen is the first stage gets "twisted" under pressure, and it is down hill from there...

I have the same issue with my DIN reg so always carry an allen key to tighten it if needed. I can usually hear mine leaking when I open the tank. Since I'm aware of the problem I put my ear close to the 1st stage to listen. My wife has the same brand/type of regs and it never happens to hers.

Probably should have just called the dive and made sure the reg was definitely working properly.
Yeah, this was after two failed attempts to dive this site recently, so I was bound, dumb, and determined to dive it.

I had similar thing happen to one of those, you should send it back so they can make sure it’s ok, do you have another first to use while it’s away?
I do have another option or two I can use. I'm going to bring it by my shop tonight to have them take a look and see what they say.

what seems to happen is the first stage gets "twisted" under pressure, and it is down hill from there...
Interesting. I was screwing around with a newbie diver friend recently and showing off my sidemount shotgunning skills. This reg spun 180° when I did that, something that hasn't happened before, but definitely seems like twisting under pressure.

Back
Top Bottom