Mouthpieces... my jaw is killing me!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cork2win

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just finished my 4th and last OW class on Wednesday and my jaw STILL hurts from clenching down on the reg mouthpiece. Now, I'm sure I'm clenching harder than normal because of nerves, but I have to think there are better mouthpieces out there. What makes a "good" mouthpiece? What should I look for?

Our LDS carries a mouthpiece that can be molded to your teeth. It's the same concept as the football mouthpieces. You boil it and mold it to your mouth. I don't remember the brand, but ask your LDS or look it up online. It made a world of difference to her.

There are at least 2 brands - Oceanic sells for about $8 - 9 and is the size of a normal mouthpiece and Seacure sell for about $30 and is much longer than a regular mouthpiece.

You don't need to clench at all. Let it rest gently in your mouth.

I use the Oceanic and love it.

I suggest the Sea Cure mouthpiece that molds to your mouth. I used to have the same problem, until I switched. Caution, there are 3 styles: I, II, III - depending on the type of regulator that you own. Good luck, and happy diving.

H- the IslandCowgirl

And if you give up the primary the seacure gets in the way a little.

There is also the Aqualung Comfo-Bite mouthpiece, which should be $10-$12. It does not mold to your teeth, but is shaped differently than a standard mouthpiece. Some people find them more comfortable, but they don't fit everyone. They come in two sizes.

The Oceanic product sounds like a good deal. Anyone know of a place online that sells them? I did a search of some of my favorite online stores but am only seeing the Seacure or Oceanic mouthpieces that don't say anything about being moldable. Is there a part number or name I can search for specifically?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom