Mount Storm: Current conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hold on there. I was there too and where did you find that kind of vis?:hm: For me it was typical Storm vis (barely see across platform).:huh:

True, it was my son's first time back in a while and he stirred some up and one carp wasn't helping by sucking up the bottom, but......still 12-15' vis?

Down at 100 feet and out towards the dam wall. And then along the wall and back from the motorcycle to the platform. THen up the line to the safety stop. Remember the platforms are about 12x12 or so. And I could see across them just fine when we were on em.

I am writing this post from work. I am working 52 hours over the Memorial Day weekend.

WVDiver, I hate you.

:D
Sorry you couldn't make it Doc. :shakehead: It was a great day, but the weekend will be packed with people and lots of students, so you probably aren't missing much by working. We are planting the garden and getting the pool open this weekend. May go back and dive next weekend. Maybe we will see you there.

I was at Storm today, though I could not dive I did get to do shore duty. We got there about 9 am and left about 3. In all it was a great day, warm, very little wind, water temp was 70 at the surface and 64 at depth(this was reported to me) and best of all atotal of 8 divers. Go figure! Thought there would be a crowd, a bunch of classes but no just 8 divers. HUMPHHHH

We've been there on Memorial Day weekend. Not for us, but I hope you have a great day. People will be thick as fleas on a dog.

We did have two good days of diving. That dog got rid of his fleas. We dove Saturday and Sunday and mostly had the whole place to ourselves. Lots of boaters, and swimmers, very few divers.

You never can figure out Storm. I do remember Memorial Day last year, well sort of :shakehead: Would prefer to forget.

Hold on there. I was there too and where did you find that kind of vis?:hm: For me it was typical Storm vis (barely see across platform).:huh:

True, it was my son's first time back in a while and he stirred some up and one carp wasn't helping by sucking up the bottom, but......still 12-15' vis?

You have to get away from the triangle area to get the vis, especially after other divers get in the water, once that area is silted up the vis goes to doo doo. :depressed:

I was the first one in the water on Saturday, and probably one of the divers that told you 12-15 feet. Which there was before the bottom got stirred up. As Jim pointed out if you can see diagonal across the shallow platforms that is 12 feet.

It seems to me the best vis is usually in the 50 to 60 foot range, again away from the platform triangle area. I was able to turn my light off at 60 feet.

QUOTE]

Another thing that helps is too stay off of the platforms. We do swim by them and use them as reference points, but stay off of them. Silt lands on the platforms and then when people get on them it starts the silt cloud. Especially the deeper platforms, sometime you will see several inches of silt on them

Let us know when y'all are gonna be there CB. The wife and I leave for Bermuda this weekend so we'll be gone the next 2 weekends, but after that I'm game.

Absolutely! Can't wait to hear about the wreck dives!

Dove yesterday. Decided that I would go after church and when I got there, there was only one pair of divers and they were leaving. I had the underwater part all to myself the rest of the day. :eyebrow:
temp: highest reading 73
vis: could make out the eery outline of the opposite post diagonally across the platform, could see "clearly" to the middle.

Update! It's over 80 now! Was at Storm Sat and Sun with an advanced student. We did 5 dives- Advanced Skills, UW Nav, Night/LowVis, Deep, and Search and Recovery. Highest surface temp was 81. Lowest temp I got was at 105 and that was 72 degrees. First time in new 5 mil merino elastiprene and cripes- a couple times had to pull the neck seal to flush some water cause it was getting hot. I'll be back down in two weeks with a couple OW students. Vis was anywhere from 2 ft to 12 or better down at the 90 and along the wall at 70-75 feet. Saturday night dive was sweet. we were the only ones in the water and it was so peaceful. Were the first ones in Sunday AM and did the deep before the OW people got in. They made the S& R really interesting by boogering up the vis real well. But my student did very well. I hope he enjoyed the class as much as I did teaching it. It's nice when the student has a good grasp of buoyancy and really wants to learn the other skills. If anyone's down there on the 27& 28 look for my truck( GMC Envoy, UDM Aquatic Services on the side and the SOLO DVR license plate) and say Hi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom