Most Significant Living Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Curley-- pres of DAN now
Peter Bennett-- founder of DAN
Frank Scalli (the first, second, and all other living ancestors)-- poineer in the New England area, and advocate in general

oh, and also John Cronin, but he died a little while ago.
Peter Benchly-- author of JAWS, I think he brought more ppl into diving because of curiocity then he scared away-- oh, and I have met him, and I talked to him about this....

Walter:
Andy, it sounds like you're looking for impact on you as a diver rather than impact on diving in general.
I wouldn't say that I would say andy is listing those individuals that he knows about. One can't list the names of those they don't know about

jwdiverdude:
I wouldn't say that I would say andy is listing those individuals that he knows about. One can't list the names of those they don't know about

hmmm... do you mean that I "know personally?"

i don't have to know someone personally to be affected by their legacy/wisdom/ideas.

for example, i never knew Sheck Exley personally, but his body of work deeply influenced
me.

H2Andy:
hmmm... do you mean that I "know personally?"

i don't have to know someone personally to be affected by their legacy/wisdom/ideas.

for example, i never knew Sheck Exley personally, but his body of work deeply influenced
me.
That is exactly what I meant.
You just said it better.

Victor at Anse Chastanet

Murph at Buddy Dive

Both sure made a difference to me

jwdiverdude:

Perhaps because I didn't quote it, you missed the reference.

H2Andy:
as to DIR's impact, it changed how i saw diving, even though i'm not DIR. it made me a much better diver. nothing *insert favorite agency* did came even close to the impact DIR had on my diving.

This refers to how people have influenced his own diving rather than diving in general. Sorry I didn't quote it originally, but it seemed obvious to me.

I also never made reference to anyone he didn't list, so I couldn't have been suggesting he list someone of whom he's never heard.

BTW, Sheck Exley, while he made a large impact on diving in general and cave diving specifically, is no longer living.

Diver0001:
I'll give Tom Mount a nod. He's cool, he knows his stuff and he's cool.

I think Jablonski is smart and DIR is definitely influential but he doen'st get my vote because he plays the arrogance/elitist rhetoric surronding DIR for his own profit and I can't see for the life of me how that is good for divers.

The guy who invented teh Newt suit what was his name :)

And her deepness, Sylvia Earle, for one hell of a roll model.

R..

The guy who invented the newt suit is Phil Nuyten. He did a lot more for commercial diving than for us rec folk. Heard him speak last year at a historical conference, he is an expert on old double hose regulators.

Walter:
BTW, Sheck Exley, while he made a large impact on diving in general and cave diving specifically, is no longer living.

ok, now you're insulting me :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom