Most important skills for newbies to master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachbummer28, you mentioned that you were planning some boat dives this fall/winter. I have some practical advice. On some of the boat charter dives I've done especially those that are DM led, there is a tendency for the group to ascend and do their safety stop at the same time. A lot of divers hang onto the anchor line when doing their stop. It can get awful crowded and it increases the chances of getting a reg or mask knocked off by adjacent divers. Unless you're faced with a strong current there is no need to hang on to the line. With large swells on the surfce you will get jerked up and down while hanging on to the line. It is better to hover close to the line when doing your stop. Practice hovering being still at the same depth until you are comfortable with it. Everything that's been said regarding bouyancy applies. Have fun and maybe I'll see ya on the boat.

Being safe (conservative) while gaining experience is what newer divers should work on and just being aware of what good trim, buoyancy, staying off the bottom, and good buddy skills look like.

The rest should take care of itself. Rely on yourself and not others would be up there I suppose as well.

OK, I'll go all Captain Obvious for a moment. Do Not inhale the water. I'll give two scenarios I have alternately seen and experienced.

1. Should you happen to sneeze while underwater, it is very easy for the reg to pop out of your mouth. You might have a need to inhale but you need to keep the composure to get the reg re-inserted and cleared, likely with the purge button.

2. Choppy seas can make for a handy place to use a snorkel whilst working your way to the boat. Remember, that first breath is OUT. You would be amazed at how many people turn that into a self teaching moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom