Most important skills for newbies to master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rule #1: DM is always right
Rule #2: if DM is wrong, consult rule #1
Rule #3: if you are tired of rule #1, become a DM

(works only on newbies, the rest know that being a DM sucks)

Buoyancy and trim, just important enough to be said again. Master that, get it down cold and all the other tasks and multi tasking will be much easier.

Practice retrieving your reg without a mask. My teenager recently knocked my reg out of my mouth and upset my mask in the process, which partially filled with water. I stayed completely relaxed while I found/replaced the reg, purged it, and then cleared my mask. But I thought more about it later on and realized that if I'd inhaled any water during the incident I might not have remained so relaxed. So more practice with mask off is on my todo list.

In fact, is there a safe way to practice inhaling a little bit of water? If you could condition yourself against that very unpleasant sensation, it could prove to be valuable if things ever started to go very wrong.

Practice retrieving your reg without a mask. My teenager recently knocked my reg out of my mouth and upset my mask in the process, which partially filled with water. I stayed completely relaxed while I found/replaced the reg, purged it, and then cleared my mask. But I thought more about it later on and realized that if I'd inhaled any water during the incident I might not have remained so relaxed. So more practice with mask off is on my todo list.

In fact, is there a safe way to practice inhaling a little bit of water? If you could condition yourself against that very unpleasant sensation, it could prove to be valuable if things ever started to go very wrong.

I accidentally did this to myself on one of my OW cert dives. I was head underwater to do snorkel-reg-snorkel at which point I realised the zip on my wetsuit wasn't done up (the sudden influx of icy cold water down my back caused an instant gasp with open mouth and resulting mouth and nose full of salt water. Didn't do me any harm although salt water doesn't taste the best. Got past the first initial shock and managed to right myself. Was the perfect opportunity to do the equipment removal and replace as well!

Practice retrieving your reg without a mask.
Interesting point, I like the idea. Probably worth trying with some divers / students.
In fact, is there a safe way to practice inhaling a little bit of water?
Practicing inhaling may be another matter. I was teaching OW in our (enjoyable, but probably bacteria-rich) local quarry three weeks ago, and managed, through sheer stupidity on my part, to inhale quarry water, at the surface, twice. I have had a productive cough ever since (probably time for a sputum culture), and I don't recommend it (at least, not by doing what I did). :)

On the other hand, one possible approach to simulating the 'inhaling' process, might be to use a sinus irrigation kit and periodically irrigate your sinuses (distilled water only). That would have a potential health benefit, and may produce part of the sensation you want to experience in order to acclimate to it.

On the other hand, one possible approach to simulating the 'inhaling' process, might be to use a sinus irrigation kit and periodically irrigate your sinuses (distilled water only). That would have a potential health benefit, and may produce part of the sensation you want to experience in order to acclimate to it.

Fantastic idea. I think my wife has one of those tucked away somewhere. I'll have to give it a shot.

First worry about the stuff that can kill you. Bad trim and touching the bottom is bad form but are not likely to do you harm. Number one is being a confident swimmer because that does more keep you from panicking than a dozen dive classes. Panic is the most likely thing to make you dead. Losing a mask or breaking a fin strap is a minor inconvenience if you are comfortable in the water. Even screwing up and running out of air should not endanger your life in the depth ranges of an OW diver. Master freediving after becoming a confident swimmer. All that will go a long way toward solving your buoyancy and trim problems.

Sounds like an OK idea. Certainly can't hurt. I do think that if someone has a problem with this (inhaling water in nose, even mouth?) there is a basic airway problem to begin with. Ei.--as a student diver did that person have trouble with no mask breathing and no mask swim? The motions of retrieving a reg are the same with or without a mask. You can't see the reg when it's behind you or hung up somewhere. Unimportant side question--How many have had a reg leave their mouth unintentionally?

Why is trim important? It isn't to show off to others on the dive boat on make you look like an experienced diver. If your feet are low, when you kick forwards, you're actually kicking forwards and up. To counter this, many people will unwittingly compensate by being too negative (over-weighted) in the water. It is common to see divers bopping up with every kick, then sinking when they relax. Kick, sink, kick, sink.

Ah ha! This is exactly what was happening to me today in the pool. I couldn't understand why I was ok at the bottom, but kept floating to the surface when I started to swim. The instructor told me when some people kick, they just kick in a way that causes them to ascend. I didn't realize the significance of that until just now. I was swimming to the surface, not floating. That explains everything! Thanks! :)

My one additional / supplementary point of emphasis: practice no mask breathing and no mask swimming, A LOT. The "oh ****" moments that I have witnessed have almost exclusively involved divers getting some water in their mask, getting some water up their nose, and bolting (or attempting to bolt) to the surface. And, I have seen that too many times. If you can get to the point that your breathing control (which several have mentioned primarily in the context of buoyancy control) is so 'spot on' that you feel as completely comfortable swimming underwater (while breathing from a regulator) without a mask, as you do with a mask, you will minimize the likelihood of injury associated with the 'bolt'.

I found this to be the most difficult part of the whole thing! And I admit, I bolted! More than once! LOL! But from the middle of the pool, so it wasn't that deep. I definitely don't want to be experiencing that panicky feeling 50' down. I had no trouble clearing the mask once I got it back on. That was easy, but breathing without it, hardest part of the whole thing I thought. Definitely need more practice there. :)

Ah ha! This is exactly what was happening to me today in the pool. I couldn't understand why I was ok at the bottom, but kept floating to the surface when I started to swim. The instructor told me when some people kick, they just kick in a way that causes them to ascend. I didn't realize the significance of that until just now. I was swimming to the surface, not floating. That explains everything! Thanks! :)

I found this to be the most difficult part of the whole thing! And I admit, I bolted! More than once! LOL! But from the middle of the pool, so it wasn't that deep. I definitely don't want to be experiencing that panicky feeling 50' down. I had no trouble clearing the mask once I got it back on. That was easy, but breathing without it, hardest part of the whole thing I thought. Definitely need more practice there. :)

I found the easiest way was to actually concentrate on breathing- by making a conscious effort to breathe slowly and deliberately actually calmed me down. It made me realise that mask or no mask, I could take my time and sort the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom