Most "Complete" Entry-Level DC Options!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everyone,
I am sure this is a relatively common kind of post, which many are tired of commenting on but I have a few questions regarding buying dive computers at an affordable rate ($300-$400) that give the best bang for the buck.
I am relatively new to diving, though certified in 2013 I haven't been able to do really any diving since then. I am however pursuing my Advanced Diver certification currently through the academic scuba diving route. It is time to increase my gear and that brings me to dive computers. With that and research I've been able to isolate a few options including:

-Mares "Smart"
-Suunto "Voop"
-Oceanic "Geo 2.0"
-Cressi "Giotto"

The price range is fine with all of these options, and I understand typically with increased prices come with more bells and whistles. Baseline, these 4 seem to be safe, reliable, and durable; however, I am wondering about these companies (as I know little) on how they operate. I've heard Mares has horrific customer service for example. These things should be taken into consideration when purchasing to bring that "complete" product. Asking the vets with their experiences about what companies seem to be the best overall, and what computers are recommended for beginner divers. Thank you for your time in advance!

I'm a newbie diver (certified in October and have 14 dives). Get the Geo 2.0. I have it. Love it. Manual sucks, but the online class ($8) on DiveNav's website is well worth the $. The USB cable is about $100 additional, but I just discovered the joys of MacDive and downloading my dives.

My wife and students have been very happy with the Deepblu Cosmiq. Still a new company but a seriously nice bit of kit. By FAR the clearest display on any entry level computer.

I'm sure most modern computers would have the basic features you want, the ones you mentioned are no exception. One feature that differentiates computers is their decompression algorithm. This has been discussed ad nauseum in previous first computer threads.

Mares, Suunto, and Cressi all have proprietary RGBM algorithms, generally acknowledged as at the conservative end of the spectrum. The Deepblu computer runs a very conservative version of Buhlmann ZH-L16C, even at it's most aggressive setting. Oceanic runs dual algorithm, DSAT (also basis for PADI RDP), and PZ+. DSAT is reasonably liberal, PZ+ is a middle of the road Buhlmann variant. Do some background research, make sure you buy the computer you want.

Don't know when the Deep 6 will be available. I want at least two.
The Deep 6 computer will run Buhlmann ZH-L16 with preset GFs, hopefully the same as Shearwater rec mode. It may also run a RGBM variant. Release has been delayed due to adding the additional algorithm. At a very competitive price, this computer may become a first choice for many divers

The problem is, when will it be available?

I just bought a Mares Quad to try out for students.
I am currently using Uwatec bottom timers for classes.

The lack of user replaceable batteries with the Uwatec means I will have to replace them eventually.

Some reasons for choosing the Quad are that it has a big screen, clear LCD display so it's easy to read on shallow dives and bright days.
I can set it to gauge mode, but it has air and nitrox mode for those that choose to not use dive tables later on.

I like that it has a retail price around $350 and isn't one of the single button styles of computer.
The fact that it has user replaceable batteries is a plus for me.

A no frills computer, but it checks the blocks for me.

Of those listed, the Geo 2.0 will provide you with the most opportunity for growth. But it has one of the worst user interfaces that I've seen. (I own one)

The Zoop will be among the easiest to use but will be the first to be outgrown if you progress as a diver. If you go on a dive trip with 3-4 dives a day you will likely end up being the first to need to surface on many of those dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom