Most "Complete" Entry-Level DC Options!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had multiple Geo's. I started with the first one and upgraded to the Geo 2.0 when I found a good deal on one. I only upgraded because I was looking for a more tech orientated computer. If I still dove mostly recreationally, I'd still have it.

If you're looking for a good deal on the Geo 2.0, I think that Boston Scuba in Massachusetts has one left that they are looking to clear out at a good price. Give Jim a call (617) 418-5555 and tell them Lewis sent you. I wasn't really looking so I don't remember the price.

(in full disclosure, I drive their boat part time)

-Mares "Smart"
-Suunto "Voop"
-Oceanic "Geo 2.0"
-Cressi "Giotto"

The price range is fine with all of these options, and I understand typically with increased prices come with more bells and whistles. Baseline, these 4 seem to be safe, reliable, and durable; however, I am wondering about these companies (as I know little) on how they operate. I've heard Mares has horrific customer service for example.

Every "big name" body has horrific customer service unless you happen to bypass the first tier and hit an actual employee. As opposed to a checklist reader in a call centre in mumbooba.

I always though giotto was kinda pointless and zoop's a bit overpriced for what it does. With geo you're paying extra for the "watch size", you might consider the full-size version of it sold under various labels: Veo 2, AL i300 (Veo has a choice of algorithm whereas i300 has the Aqualung logo). Smart sounds like a good contender unless you subscribe to 'RGBM bad! Run away!' theory.

I always though giotto was kinda pointless and zoop's a bit overpriced for what it does. With geo you're paying extra for the "watch size", you might consider the full-size version of it sold under various labels: Veo 2, AL i300 (Veo has a choice of algorithm whereas i300 has the Aqualung logo). Smart sounds like a good contender unless you subscribe to 'RGBM bad! Run away!' theory.

The Zoop (grossly overpriced indeed) and the GEO2.0 are different class computers for sure. GEO2.0 has more features.

The GEO2.0 can do two gas mixes but the VEO2.0 can do only one and is a larger size computer.

For the money, features, reliability and track record, it will be very difficult to beat the Oceanic computers especially the VEO2.0 and the GEO2.0.

I won't be using suunto computers for myself or for our dive school since there are much better computers out there with better features and better value than the Suunto line (very over priced) now. I used to be exclusively Suunto for probably 15 years now and have been using them since circa 1994 but not anymore. My decision is based mostly on features, algorithm, price vs. the available options from the competition these days.

The Oceanic/Aqua Lung entry to intermediate level recreational diver have a substantial edge over the competition now for sure. For hoseless AI or advanced recreational/tech-reational/technical computers, Shearwater Perdix AI or the offerings from Ratio Computers are far superior to anything else in market and have much better screens with better pricing.

Thank you everyone for the valuable advice. I didn't even consider algorithms, but then again I'm rather new. I've also checked out Deepblu's DC model. Looks super sleek, and definitely friendly on the wallet. Seems to be a lot of pull for the Oceanic Geo 2.0.

Oceanic definitely, I ordered a Geo 2.0 but cancelled because I could get a good deal on a Atom 3.1.
Dove it last 3 weeks on Bonaire and absolutely love it, user interface is considered a pain in the *** as far as I read about it but honestly I flipped through the manual once and now I have no trouble at all navigating through the different settings.

I've used a Suunto Cobra for several years, it's an air-integrated earlier version of the Zoop. I added a Geo 2.0 as a wrist computer for backup and to try out. I really like the Geo 2.0 better than the Suunto. I like how it operates but mostly I like it because I get longer bottom times, even using the Z+ on setting on the Geo which is most conservative. Suuntos are know to be one of the most conservative computers available. Yes, it keeps you safer but it also can really cut down your bottom time on repetitive dives. If both of these failed, I'd run out to buy a GEO 2.0 again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom