Mosquito - Random Date/Time resets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone other mosquito owners have this problem? This is the second time its happened to me. Basically I will be up during an surface interval checking the log to see details of my previous dive and all of sudden - bam the date and time resets to something like 1/1/00 and the time to 6am. All the previous dive data is intact, just the time and date get reset. Unfortunately this throws off any calculations for future dives as it assumes the next dive is your first dive of the day AND dive trip. Fortunately the 2 times its happen, it wasn't too much of an issue, but next time it does it might just fubar a long dive vacation...

I bought this off a friend who got it locally thru an official suunto dealer and hopefully he's still got the original receipt in case it needs to be sent in for service. He claims that he's never had this problem before. Anyways, I'd be curious to know if others have had this problem and if its better not to ignore this and get it checked asap...

This problem can be caused with bad battery, poor battery contacts or water in battery compartment. Try to fix it yourself: open battery compartment, inspect if for salt chrystals, clean it and replace the battery and the o-ring. If it happens again than send it to Suunto.

ah hah... you might be onto something. When I bought it off my friend, I had to replace the battery. Wonder if I didn't put the battery cover back on properly. thanks for the tip.

hmm, just checked the battery. Battery is OK (tested on a multimeter and 4bars on the screen) and the battery area is still nice and shiny with no signs of water... Anyways, bent the connection to make sure there is good contact, inspected the O-ring, and I've put some new o-ring grease on and will have to wait til the next dive to test it out.

pakman:
hmm, just checked the battery. Battery is OK (tested on a multimeter and 4bars on the screen) and the battery area is still nice and shiny with no signs of water... Anyways, bent the connection to make sure there is good contact, inspected the O-ring, and I've put some new o-ring grease on and will have to wait til the next dive to test it out.
In the meantime you can set alarm for max dive time (e.g. 1 hour) and put it to bath-tub for few hours (cold water - the coldest you can get) and try to turn on the light at the same time when dive alarm is to expire. This will cause max stress to battery.

I had similar situation with my Vyper during one dive at 40 m depth (133') - depth alarm was set to beep at 40 m and I turned on the back-light at that moment - Vyper reset and started to count dive time from zero. A friend of mine described similar situation with Mosquito.

And a bath tub must me deep enough for Mosquito to start count the dive.

not sure if my tub is deep enough for that. Also, the problem fortunately hasn't happened underwater. It's only happened on the surface. I wonder if its a combination of hitting too many buttons too quickly as I'm looking through the log that's causing the problem.

MonkSeal:
And a bath tub must me deep enough for Mosquito to start count the dive.

I am looking into Mosquito as my first computer as well.
Is this problem common on Suunto or just isolated case?

how deep the bath tub should be?

Mosquito/D3 (made from same body) starts recording time at 4' deep (in dive mode).

I have heard of a decent number of problems with Mosquitos/D3s with this resent problem. At least with my unit it was due to the battery (new) losing contact and reseting itself. It was sent back to Suunto and they installed shims.

Talk with your local Suunto/Aqualung dealer and see what they can do for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom