Morrison Springs Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't mind paying $5 a day for them to hire a 24/7 park guard.

Maybe that would keep the rednecks out too!

I thought the same thing.... but the rednecks still pay to swim at Vortex.

The problem with a "fee" is that if they charge one, most likely they'll use Vortex as a baseline for price and charge something like $20 for divers and $5 for swimmers.

remember that most of this money used to "beautify" the park was grant money. or at least $800,000 of it was grant money.

Also the state is the one who actually owns the park, not the county. the state just allows the county to operate it as a park under lease agreement. If the county leased it, they would have to give some of the money to the state. hopefully this will persuade them not to set up a bunch of "rules and fees" that aren't needed.

I think I am going to research the statutes and find the exact law that pertains to water use and private property. Once I get that reference, I may laminate it and tape it to my tank.
That way, when I emerge from the cavern during Vortoberfest weekend, and Big John Law is waiting to take me away to jail, I can dispute his right to do so legally!
:D :dork2: :rofl3:

(Now I just have to figure out how to enter and exit without using the Boat Ramp, which is technically still part of the park, and there-by off-limits!)

I think I am going to research the statutes and find the exact law that pertains to water use and private property. Once I get that reference, I may laminate it and tape it to my tank.
That way, when I emerge from the cavern during Vortoberfest weekend, and Big John Law is waiting to take me away to jail, I can dispute his right to do so legally!

Capt, you're ok....

In Florida (and most other states) , the owner of the area covered by water of a public navigable waterway is covered under Riparian Rights and Waterways Act. It's against the law for them to block access to a navigable waterway to you, or anyone else.

(Now I just have to figure out how to enter and exit without using the Boat Ramp, which is technically still part of the park, and there-by off-limits!)

I heard the boat ramp was open for use. Does it say boat ramp can not be used by non-boaters?.....Doubtful. I think if you use the boat ramp that is open and you aren't using the "Spring amenities" then you would okay.

I would not make waves with the locals.

Going back to the commerce act You cannot be prevented from using water deep enough to float a canoe in. Land owners can control the land. At best they can hit you with a treaspass charge.

With Morrison, I often used the ramp a couple miles downriver and ended up at Morrison, just to bypass all the parking traffic and people on the beach making it difficult to launch.

The term law is used loosley out here. Chances are if you call the law, the deputy that shows up will be kin or a friend of the one you are callling them on. I have seen them take the out of towners I.D. and check for anything from parking tickets to walkng around their vehicle.

Going back to the commerce act You cannot be prevented from using water deep enough to float a canoe in. Land owners can control the land. At best they can hit you with a treaspass charge.

With Morrison, I often used the ramp a couple miles downriver and ended up at Morrison, just to bypass all the parking traffic and people on the beach making it difficult to launch.

The term law is used loosley out here. Chances are if you call the law, the deputy that shows up will be kin or a friend of the one you are callling them on. I have seen them take the out of towners I.D. and check for anything from parking tickets to walkng around their vehicle.

Well, since I am a local, I don't really think this would be an issue for me (even though I don't personally know anyone in office).

Remember what they say, you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride. I doubt a local cop is going to be impressed or concerned that you can cite statutes or have laminated cards.

Bud you just don't know how hard it was to drive away with a trailer full of full tanks. Had we not had in front of us a 5 hour drive, and my partner a 1 1/2 hour drive from that, I would have been posting dive pictures of us, rather than these lucky ones.
Ken

I hear ya! :eyebrow:

Remember what they say, you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride. I doubt a local cop is going to be impressed or concerned that you can cite statutes or have laminated cards.

well most cops are clueless when it comes to anything that they normally don't arrest people for....

but it's clear that this wasn't being done for the "tourist divers" when I was at the planning meeting for this two years ago.

They didn't even invite divers to the meeting, but rest assured that there were plenty of local fishermen there. The big concern of the fishermen was not getting their boats blocked out from launching/recovery of their trailers...

it was clear that the comissioners had the local fishermen in their primary focus... but these were "good ole boys" who were "part of the system" down there...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom