Morrison Springs Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got this today in reply to an email asking the status of Morrison and when it would open.

It is still closed. We are working hard on the well installation for drinking water and restrooms, and are awaiting some finishing touches. We just don’t want to open a $1.3M park unfinished. I have not been given a specific date, but I have been told by county leaders and construction teams that they expect the park can be open within the next three weeks.

Christopher Mitchell
Walton County Public Information Officer

Jeeze.... sigh I hope its open for votoberfest, keep it partially closed for all I care but at least let us dive it!!!

Got this today in reply to an email asking the status of Morrison and when it would open.

It is still closed. We are working hard on the well installation for drinking water and restrooms, and are awaiting some finishing touches. We just don’t want to open a $1.3M park unfinished. I have not been given a specific date, but I have been told by county leaders and construction teams that they expect the park can be open within the next three weeks.

Christopher Mitchell
Walton County Public Information Officer

Don't lett'em fool ya, they got water! Or so it seems. Looks wet to me. This was from this weekend.

382336093_hL5Sb-L.jpg

Nahhh, I should have though. The place looked liked it could be opened that day! I wished I would have given the shower nozzle and other hoses a tug just to see.

I was still kinda grieving for making the decision not to dive. Once we got there, the water was as clear as drinking water, sand as clean as a white towel. We were both tired from two days of humping doubles and stages and was pretty much just ready to go home. Looking back, I sure wished I would have went for at least one dive. There was a handful of divers there while we were touring the park. Grrrrr

Kenny

I emailed back the pic of the "water working" to the Walton County contact and said it appeared the water was working and asked what other hold ups were there...

got the "out of office" until Oct 6th bounce.... oh well.

It could quite possible be the water testing from the health department that is keeping the hold up. That would be pretty realistic.

The park will be a nice attraction - some year. Lol. While I'm with bugman, it won't be as serene as it once was.

What surprised me was that there is no platform at the dock with steps to get back up. So, with that, I'm assuming exit will be at the sandbar??? It would have been nice to be able to exit the dock to save the gear from from the sand.

I can't begin to imagine the silting from the entries. Bugman was dead on about those doing giant strides into the water. Besides a few concussions from divers being hit in the head with an 80, I bet the water will be a vortex of debris.

Anyone pulling a trailer needs to get there early to back it into a spot and then unhook. Otherwise it's going to be a LONG hump to the water. I will be buying me a farm wagon before I make the trek down there, and suggest others do the same, or give the kids a few bars of candy to hire them as tank Sherpa's Lol.

Grumpy already posted a good report of the park. I took just a few pictures while walking through.

382337913_6NjKV-L.jpg

382339586_6rkB7-L.jpg

382340890_YVodm-L.jpg

382341512_v4PQZ-L.jpg

382345526_ohigX-L.jpg

Safe diving,

Kenny

Jeez, 10 months and still not open!:depressed:
Seems every time I check in on this thread, opening day is being pushed back.
If it isn't open by Vortoberfest, would anyone get busted for going diving? Do they have security running around waiting to nail "offenders"? I don't need showers working to enjoy a dive there.:D

Jeez, 10 months and still not open!:depressed:
Seems every time I check in on this thread, opening day is being pushed back.
If it isn't open by Vortoberfest, would anyone get busted for going diving? Do they have security running around waiting to nail "offenders"? I don't need showers working to enjoy a dive there.:D

Didn't stop these folks:

382339760_fpUR7-L.jpg

I'll not make the same mistake twice with seeing the place and not taking a dip. I would assume if you put in at the boat launch all would be OK. But that's just my guess.

Kenny

What surprised me was that there is no platform at the dock with steps to get back up. So, with that, I'm assuming exit will be at the sandbar??? It would have been nice to be able to exit the dock to save the gear from from the sand.

I wondered if there were any steps or anything......
I figured that I just couldn't see them or something.

So the floating dock is pretty pointless......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom