Morrison Springs Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone verify this?

It's posted above but here it is again:

Latest and greatest on Morrison springs opening:

I asked Chris from Walton County:

Chris,
Do you have an update on Morrison Springs reopening? Also can you provide
any info on if there will now be a fee to use the park?

He Replied:

Hi, Barry:
First, we are waiting on a well to be completed for running water to new restrooms. We don't have a date set for the opening, but we hope to real soon - as soon as the water issue is worked out. For now, the new boat ramp, complete with paved parking, is downstream and is open 24 hours a day. The main entrance to the park has been reconfigured so that you can access the boat ramp road all hours of the day throughout the week.

Second, there are NO PLANS to impose a fee for this park. The money raised for the renovations came from state tax dollars and various grants, and the county will maintain the park, just like all other Walton County, Florida parks.

Finally, I will add your e-mail address to a media release list so you can be kept up to date on any announcements regarding Morrison Springs.

I then asked:

Chris, Can the park be accessed to Scuba Dive the springs even with the
Restrooms currently closed? It sounds like the boat ramp is open so can we
park at the boat ramp and swim to the spring? Also what is your best guess
on the well being completed?

He Replied:

The springs and park are CLOSED. No one is allowed in park/spring area.

Since we have tried to predict an opening 3 times this year, I will refrain from trying to give another benchmark. -Chris

Thanks MRXRAY. Must have missed that.

Doesn't look like they want folks diving from the boat ramp :mooner:

Attachments

• boatramp-600.jpg
    boatramp-600.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 314
You can dive the springs by swimming @ 100 yds from boat ramp to springs. The boat ramp is open. I took my son night diving 3 weeks ago. I rode down to the boat ramp last Sunday when I went to check if the main part was open yet. People were diving the spring at that time. They can't stop you from diving in the spring- well I guess they could- but it flows to the Choctawhatchee river 1/2 mile from spring and you can access by boat from river. There are numerous boat landings in area to the river. Matter of fact I dove the spring back in July before the boat ramp opened by taking my boat to the springs from the river. If you haven't seen the improvements yet, you will be impressed. I want to say thanks to all who had a part in making it happen- and a special thanks goes out to commisioner Scott Brannon who rode point on the project.

:diver:

Interesting. On another board, someone posted they contacted the county about diving Morrison and were told to access it by the boat ramp.

He Replied:

The springs and park are CLOSED. No one is allowed in park/spring area.

well, what he's saying above is against the law to block access to the springs since it's a navigable waterway. I can guarentee you that they aren't stopping fishermen from fishing there. (lots of states even have laws against "harrassing" fishermen while they are fishing).

It's amazing the people we have working in our government that have no clue what the laws are and just make crap up as they go along.

They might be able to keep you from diving from their fishing ramp area, since it's their ramp, but since they let you launch a boat there, nothing to keep you from diving from your boat :D (sneaky suggestion).

Holy Crap!! This place looks nothing like it use too .. wow!!! BUT like I keep readin' maybe it will keep out the Red Necks!! They use to drive ne CRAZY!!!!!!!

It could quite possible be the water testing from the health department that is keeping the hold up. That would be pretty realistic.

The park will be a nice attraction - some year. Lol. While I'm with bugman, it won't be as serene as it once was.

What surprised me was that there is no platform at the dock with steps to get back up. So, with that, I'm assuming exit will be at the sandbar??? It would have been nice to be able to exit the dock to save the gear from from the sand.

I can't begin to imagine the silting from the entries. Bugman was dead on about those doing giant strides into the water. Besides a few concussions from divers being hit in the head with an 80, I bet the water will be a vortex of debris.

Anyone pulling a trailer needs to get there early to back it into a spot and then unhook. Otherwise it's going to be a LONG hump to the water. I will be buying me a farm wagon before I make the trek down there, and suggest others do the same, or give the kids a few bars of candy to hire them as tank Sherpa's Lol.

Grumpy already posted a good report of the park. I took just a few pictures while walking through.

382337913_6NjKV-L.jpg

382339586_6rkB7-L.jpg

382340890_YVodm-L.jpg

382341512_v4PQZ-L.jpg

382345526_ohigX-L.jpg

Safe diving,

Kenny

I noticed today that the sign has been slightly modified. Someone peeled off the word "NO". I doubt it was the people in charge of the park. There is a sign on the left of the ramp that says "NO SWIMMING OR ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES IN THIS AREA" but it doesn't say NO DIVING. This sign on the right now says "SWIMMING OR ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES IN THIS AREA" and "NO DIVING".

I'm guessing this means if you are drinking, you can swim on the right, but not dive. If you aren't drinking you can dive on the left, but not swim. :^)

Still not clear if they mean no diving as in no scuba diving or no diving in head-first from the side due to shallow depths and submerged trees. If you take a boat out of the ramp, be aware of a large tree underwater to the left of the ramp.

There is a nice new-looking gravel road leading to the boat ramp and there is plenty of parking at the ramp. Go to the closed entrance gate and take a right. The road goes on for a while and you cross over a few bridges.

I've attached a pic that shows how far we had to swim from the boat ramp.

Attachments

• PICT0007.jpg
    PICT0007.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 95
Any takers on how long itll take a drunk redneck to put his pick-me-up truck in a tree goin to the boat ramp?? :rofl3::popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom