Morrison Springs Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A boardwalk over the boil isn't really a safety issue, its just an asthetic issue. Taking what those, who have been to the meetings, have said; they've pretty much decided what they are going to do and aren't interested in hearing out diver's perspectives.

They have a plan and are going to implement it, doesn't matter what everyone else thinks about it.

The only safety issue is the locals who are now diving into the boil instead of from the trees on the edge of the run. I've only been to Madison during the colder months so there weren't many jumpers to worry about. This will be a problem at Morrison and I don't think they'll be as aware of the divers coming out of the cavern or in the basin.

Like you said, they have their plan and they're going to do whatever they want. But when it's open to the public again and we're all diving there again, watch for the diving locals.

Possibly opening on the 4th. Still waiting to see if it really does.

There's an update on one of the cavediver websites saying that the 7/4th date won't be met and it will likely be an early August date now. Third hand via the poster reporting what he was told by some county authority.

Doesn't surprise me...

News: Morrison Springs facelift under way | county, springs, park : NWFDailynews.com

PONCE DE LEON - The new park at Morrison Springs in Walton County should be ready in a few months for residents to enjoy during the dog days of summer.

The park has been closed for several months while the county upgrades infrastructure and installs better amenities.

Jim Wainwright of Alabama has visited the 250-foot-wide natural springs near Ponce de Leon since 1969, and he's looking forward to the county's efforts to spruce up the park.

"When I heard that the spring and surrounding area would be updated and made more user-friendly, it made me happy," he said. "After viewing the recent pictures of construction and overall plan, I think locals and those coming in from out of state will be able to enjoy the changes and make great memories at the spring as I have over the years."

The state acquired the Morrison Springs from private owners more than two years ago, according to a county news release. Walton County will manage the 161-acre property in cooperation with the state.

Construction started in January and is estimated to cost about $1.3 million. Walton County spokesman Chris Mitchell said the park should open by the end of July, but could take a bit longer.

Mitchell said that, in addition to new boardwalks and a pavilion for entertainment, the county plans to build an education center to bring in students and groups to learn about the springs. The new parking lot will accommodate buses, Mitchell said.

But the park's real beauty lies below the surface, where clear, cold water fills a series of caves and caverns that are excellent for scuba diving, Wainwright said. The county is building a scuba dock for easier access to the water.

Wainwright is a photojournalist and avid scuba diver.

"Morrison Springs was always on my mind as a first-class diver-training area," he said. "It's the place I taught my wife and kids to dive and many, many other people through the years. The spring has always been a welcome site when we arrived there to dive. It's peaceful, and serene beauty has always mesmerized me."

Wainwright said the upper cavern is about 45 feet across and is called Mushroom Cavern "for its obvious limestone formation and shape." The deep cavern is larger at 98 feet and is named The Cellar because of the descending staircase effect of the limestone into the main room through a portal, Wainwright said.

Who knew the caverns had names?

Construction started in January and is estimated to cost about $1.3 million.

I guess they blew their $800k budget from the grants they got huh?

. The new parking lot will accommodate buses, Mitchell said.

great.... bus loads stirring up the silt.

Wainwright said the upper cavern is about 45 feet across and is called Mushroom Cavern "for its obvious limestone formation and shape." The deep cavern is larger at 98 feet and is named The Cellar because of the descending staircase effect of the limestone into the main room through a portal, Wainwright said.

[/QUOTE=jviehe]

Who knew the caverns had names?

I've never heard the above names before either....

basically only heard of them as the upper room or lower room, or the small room for example.

on this county map, they are named "First Room" and "Second Room"
http://www.floridacaves.com/morrisonmap.pdf

also http://www.floridacaves.com/morrisoncavernmap.pdf

these are the only published maps I've seen of the cavern.

As far as I'm concerned, Jim Wainwright needs to stay in Alabama. The area was much better as it was. I am not looking forward to the "improvements".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom