Morrison Springs this Saturday 4/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes and Yes :)

River levels are looking incredibly favorable so come on out!

You do know that the Morrison Springs committee talked about dredging the end of the basin, are you still wanting me to come and play? :D

Post your diving intentions quietly, maybe they won't hear your plans then!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Not talking about either of the cavern openings in the basin. I was told there was another opening somewhere in the spring run or in the marsh/woods nearby that led into Morrison's cave. It was third hand info to begin with... from I don't remember who...

Logged in at TDS today for the first time in awhile and they had a thread about Morrison. Someone else had mentioned hearing about another possible entrance in the swamp.

They didn't exactly know where either, but someone else there(and here) seemed to be a bit more knowledgable about it - but didn't let on any info.

Being new to diving, I'm not sure how much this will impact the visibility. The weather people out of Pensacola are finally calling for a 60% chance of rain. I'm not sure how far east that will extend and whether or not it will affect visibility.

I was just at Morrison Springs last weekend for my very fist open water dive. All I can say is WOW. This week though I'm scheduled for a beach entry at Navare Beach on Saturday and a Boat Dive on Sunday.

kchFLA

Last Sunday it was great. The water was just past the small stump in front of the tree on the right that had a sign on it at one time. Yesterday the water was about 15 - 20 less, more beach.

I stopped checking surf and weather reports long ago. Some day when they pass a law requiring weather people to look out the window before they forecast, I may pay attention to them again.

Get to know a local that can look out the window, even if it's a bar tender at the nearest pub.

Disposable cameras will not be found, unless lost in a cavern. Items that float go up, when there is no overhead, they go out in the river.

Mr. Alford was going to email me to attend their next meeting. He probably blew it off, it has been many a month.

I would like to be there when they dredge. It looks like the platform area was dredged originally and the sand piled up between it and the basin.

This is what Walton County has to say
MORRISON SPRING
Morrison Spring is one of Walton County’s greatest treasures. This
161-acre park was acquired by the state in 2004 and has been
entrusted to the county for management. The highlight of the park
is a 250-foot diameter spring pool that produces millions of gallons
of crystal clear water each day. There exist 3 cavities that allow
Morrison’s frigid waters to surface from the underground aquifer.
The deepest of these cavities, at approximately 300 foot in depth,
eventually terminates in an underground chamber of unknown
dimensions. Eventually, this second-magnitude spring empties
into the Choctawhatchee River after making a one mile run
through some of Walton County’s most beautiful virgin woodlands.
Florida’s springs are an integral part of the state’s overall
ecosystem. They provide habitat for hundreds of species of
wildlife as well as drinking water for the entire state. The state
maintains a website, Florida Springs: Protecting Nature’s Gems
that provides further information on these beautiful natural
wonders.

From the Walton County Courthouse: Head east on Hwy 90 for
approximately 11.3 miles. Bear right onto Hwy 181-A for 3.3
miles. The highway eventually becomes 181. Continue for another
1.6 miles. Turn left onto Morrison Springs Road and follow to its
end.

I don't think they ever found a bottom to Morrison, the cave could be incredibly lengthy...

kchFLA:
Being new to diving, I'm not sure how much this will impact the visibility. The weather people out of Pensacola are finally calling for a 60% chance of rain. I'm not sure how far east that will extend and whether or not it will affect visibility.

It'll take a little while for the river water to leach into the spring, if the river levels even get high enough to affect the clarity. At this point, the water looks to be VERY low, it'll handle a bit of rain before intrusion is a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom