Morrison Springs Saturday 9/23/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody up for a morning dive at the watering hole. I need to get back by early afternoon so 08:00 would be my latest start.

Looks like increased rain chances at the end of the week so who knows what will be there. I know the tides for the jetties are around 11 pm and surf will probably be up a little from the front coming through. I just thought Morrison would be my best chance of getting wet this weekend.

Might be up for a dive. Was heading down that morning anyway to get a dive or two in at Vortex before heading over to Pensacola to dive the Oriskany on Sunday. Would rather dive Morrison anyway. Let me know.

Glen

My parents are supposed to be in town starting Friday (this is the trip that's been postponed half a dozen times.) However, I was thinking of dragging them some where to see me dive. Morrison would be good for that. I'll have to let you know later in the week. By Thursday I should know that the parents are on there way.

We'll see, may be a bit further than I want to travel this weekend - I'll be diving on the same boat as Fry to the Oriskany on Sunday.

This is killing me...I want to dive my new gear soooo bad. My company is helping sponsor a charity golf tournament on Saturday....so I have to play golf....and I hate golf. Now, since golf is keeping me from diving I hate it even more!

I may try and make it w/ Hannah. Don't know yet, I will know more by the end of the week.

May even try the cavern, unless my trim and buoyancy looks as bad as it did this past weekend. It wasn't good before, add a new BC, it went to crap fast. Any way hope we can make it.

Hope you guys can make it over for the dive.

SeaYoda:
Anybody up for a morning dive at the watering hole. I need to get back by early afternoon so 08:00 would be my latest start.

Looks like increased rain chances at the end of the week so who knows what will be there. I know the tides for the jetties are around 11 pm and surf will probably be up a little from the front coming through. I just thought Morrison would be my best chance of getting wet this weekend.

Hey, wish this could have been this past Saturday! Destin, was great and since you mentioned the jetties. I went to the jetties Sat. and Sunday morning, I guess I don't really understand this tide thing. The tide seemed to be low, and there was minimal draw out. We actually did some snorkling Sunday, and it was about noon when I noticed the water started to pull out, yet it seemed like it was already low tide. Another question I thought that there were tidal changes every 12 hours or if the tide was high at 11pm it would be high again at 11am. The ebb being when it started to lower until at low tide, and ebb again to return to high. I am I wrong?? Maybe it is just different than what I remember from living in Key West.

SeaAngel

If you read the stuff about how tides work, you'll get a massive headache and the end result is just predictions - no guarantee they are exactly accurrate. We get only one high and low tide here per day on a normal basis. When we do get two high tides, there is usually very little tidal swing. Even when we get a "high" high tide, there may only be a little over a foot difference from low tide. I believe topography (being in the Gulf) has a lot to do with our tide behavior. Saturday the tide was at 06:05 so it may have pushed in for up to an hour or two after that and then the bay dumps water back the other way. If you were there at 07:30 or later, you would have been in the outflow. It would be very hard to notice a change of high water line at the jetties - maybe along the Gulf side of the long jetty it would have been a little noticeable. Storms kick up a higher water line than tides by far.

That is so strange to me, we were there Saturday around 10am until 1130. Sunday we were there around 11am until 1pm. The outflow was minimal from 11 til about 1230, then all of a sudden you could feel the change and fast.

It was really nice out there, Saturday there was a class going on with divers and Sunday we saw about a half a dozen divers. It was really weird to be snorkling over them. I would have rather been on scuba, if I would have know that the water was going to cooperate so I would have been.

SeaAngel

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom