Morrison Springs Debacle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Hetland,
Pretty Octopus. I agree with the anti jerk sentiment, but as my other half just pointed out, the whole group left the trash that she picked up... It is just kind of typical for the locals to be against non locals in the "local" dive sites, right or wrong. Locals aren't always the good guys, and tourists aren't always the bad guys, but to those of us who live here, it does seem that we spend a lot of time cleaning up after the party is over and everyone has gone home.

BTW what does hetland mean?

most of the trash I've seen left at Morrison, was left by the "locals" (swimmers/drinkers/party goers ) and not those terrible "transient divers" from other areas.

overall though, compared to some places/parks, I'd say people keep it somewhat clean.

most of the trash I've seen left at Morrison, was left by the "locals" (swimmers/drinkers/party goers ) and not those terrible "transient divers" from other areas.

I would agree "non-divers" are usually a greater percentage of trouble-makers than divers, no matter where they are from, which was part of my original point I guess.

Even diving can't fix some people though.

I don't like others to touch my gear as well. It cost lots of money and I feel my life depends on my gear.

I would like to reply to Mr. Yarborough and his syncophants who willingly agreed to his story without question. I was the Instructor with the Sea Divers group. I must have been in the water when his little set to with the "old lady" happened as I missed that. I do know that we were there at 0645 on Saturday morning and we did stake out the tables under the pavillion. That is how it is done. First come, first served. Vortex, Ginnie, any spring you want to talk about. In fact, we had finished 35 minutes of snorkeling (surface dives and tired swimmer pushes and tows), suited up and completed another 38 minute scuba dive for skills and some guided exploration, before another diver of any type showed up at Morrison Springs. While we ate our brunch and took a break, no one said anything to us, so I'm assuming that all this "debacle" occurred while we were back in the water for the third and last time for the day.

Mr. Yarborough also talked about some kids who were unable to get in out of the rain that day, however since I was there and remembered that the rain stopped while we were doing our snorkel work, it must have been that little cloud that follows him around as I never saw another drop all day.

I do recall one of my assistants complaining about some folks coming in and messing with his gear bag and dry stuff while he was in the water. That is considered bad form anywhere.

If you want to get a good spot, get there early. That's what we do. Oh and we've been going to Morrison and Vortex since the 70's so we are not exactly out-of-towners. When I left Morrison around lunch time, it was still relatively uncrowded. I didn't see anyone without a place to set up. I wonder what Mr. Yarborough will think on that first Saturday that the boats in PC get blown out and everyone and their brother is at the springs. He will really be whining when he has to step over folks to get to the water.

Finally, this forum (read the rules) is for discussing diving, not for whining because you had to walk an extra step to get to the water.

Bobozr - Unfortunately the attitude of your terse answer enforces all that has been talked about. I think that I would rethink it......

Knowing Ms Mary, if she could hear him, he was talking way too loud.

Talking too loud is not an excuse to interrupt someone who is putting on a class. Your representatives make your entire operation look bad when they act in such a way. Additionally, it could make divers in general look bad, which affects me and my ability to enjoy my hobby in public-access locations.

First, Todd's name is spelled Yarbrough. If you had taken the time to read the posts in full you would know the correct spelling.
Next, Todd didn't care about the table situation. We are either at Morrison or Vortex every single weekend. We know what “busy” looks like at both. We can set up in our car if we need to. It is a bit ridiculous that people hoard tables so they have a separate place to eat then where they set up their gear, but whatever we are used to that. We are there to dive.
The "old lady" interrupted a class without knowing what she was talking about. She was listening in on a conversation and misheard. (she was about ten feet away) Todd was speaking in a normal tone but due to the distance she only heard part of the conversation which is how this all got started. She thought Todd was talking about Naui when in fact he was talking about PADI. He was telling the students when he went through IDC it was a 3 month long class, whereas now it is around 7 days. Well, instead of smarting off to her he simply stated that he wasn't speaking about NAUI but he did happen to know about Naui standards since he is an Instructor Tranier with NAUI. Our students, two of which are from the Ozark area, mentioned that they would not be visiting that shop after her behavior. Todd even told them not to base their decisions on the action of one person.
We did our three dives and finished up around noon. We were loading up gear when the kids ran under the pavilion and noticed all of the tables were taken. They then turned to the lady and said "excuse maam may we share a table with you". Well she most certainly said no. Yes it was not flooding at the time, but it was sprinkling. Regardless you just said that you guys were finished up so why not share? They were kids wanting to sit down and eat, something that would have taken them 10 minutes to accomplish.
The weather in PC has been blown out for a while, and with classes we always take them to the springs anyway. Diving when it is crowded is something we are used to. We do it year round regardless of temperature or weather, unless it is a hurricane because well it’s hard to drive in 70mph winds, most of the bridges are closed.
We never had any complaints about divers; everyone in the water was awesome. No fighting over spots and it wasn't too crowded, but there was definitely some hostility on land for no reason.
We were set up on the edge of the concrete so we actually had a few steps shorter of a walk then if we had a table.
Yes, the forums are about diving, but you just ranted too so that doesn't make your comment any different from Todd's except you name called, and were rude. I don’t even know the other people who commented, but there seems to be one common denominator, which is the behavior of a certain person.
Like I said before, we are all here to dive. First come or not we should all be willing to share especially with kids. We are supposed to be setting an example. It is hard for them to respect their elders if the elders are always rude. We shouldn't interrupt other people’s classes. If you don't agree with something pull them to the side and talk to them don't do it in front of their students. I am no better than anyone else. No matter how much "experience" I have. We dive around 1000 dives a year. Classes go nonstop in PC so we get to see the sites when they are crowded, when they are empty, when it is bad weather, when no one else wants to get in, when there are no tables, when there are plenty of tables. True, we haven’t been diving since the 70’s but we do know a thing or two about the sport. We are always polite to other divers regardless of organization, age, or shop affiliation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom