Morrison Springs Debacle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it the same all over.
We dive at a very nice campground in the Thousand Island region on the St-Lawrence river.
Divers have had problems with the ranger there since a group of them took over part of the beach to spread their gear. There, they also had a Grouchy Granny who watched everything like an eagle. There were complaints that kids could not play on their favorite spot and since then divers have been under close watch.

Watch out for Ninja grannies...:bandit:

I was at Morrison when this event happened as well. If someone wants to get onsite early and claim an area, I don't have a big issue with that - they had a group there and were making provisions for their group.

That being said, I thought it was very unproffessional for the lady to interrupt dude's class. Maybe she was having a bad day, dunno, but she didn't gain any fans on Saturday. If she had an issue, she should have pulled the dude aside.

This does seem like pretty rude behavior. I have no problem with first come first serve, but they should learn to share, even if that means giving up some of the space they need, so others can use it. And heck no should anyone be telling another instructor how to run their class or lecturing to someone elses students, unless they are witnessing a safety issue. I would have told her to mind her own business.

The next step here, if people cant get along, is the state is going to put a ranger out their charging $10 a head. Heck, maybe their should be a donation box so non floridians can contribute to park maintenance.

You know, that would also allow Floridians to contribute a bit too, I actually like that idea, I would gladly leave a bit of cash to help out the park, as long as someone came by to pick it up daily. For that matter, I would be okay with a ranger being there to take 10 bucks a head, or carload or whatever else, as Vortex is still more expensive. And Jon, when are you making it back down to PC?

FWIW, I did not witness these exchanges so I just have to take them as presented. I have sent this link up the line to some others who are usually involved with our checkout trips (I usually am not) so maybe that will do some good.

Todd, I'm completely with you when it comes to moving gear. I damn sure don't want anyone touching my gear & I in turn leave everyone else's gear alone. Don't care if it's on a table, a pickup or a dive boat, I don't want it messed with & won't do so without permission. If it's happening it shouldn't be.

You know, that would also allow Floridians to contribute a bit too, I actually like that idea, I would gladly leave a bit of cash to help out the park, as long as someone came by to pick it up daily. For that matter, I would be okay with a ranger being there to take 10 bucks a head, or carload or whatever else, as Vortex is still more expensive. And Jon, when are you making it back down to PC?
Soon as the Gulf gets above 70. I dont want rangers and charges at the park though, as I already pay more than enough taxes to cover my entry, and I dont like having the law around telling me I cant bring flashlights into the water, checking my certs, and the other BS that goes on at other dive parks.

I was there with Wayward Son on Saturday morning also. I was introduced to many of the folks being discussed, and all seemed friendly at that time. Like Wayward, I didn't experience any of the issues while topside. We left after our first dive to head south and when we returned for a dive later, we had the water to ourselves.
We got out of the cavern and viewed the little flounder in the basin until dark.
Like everyone else, my gear is like my Harley, truck, and wife. If you want to KEEP your hands, keep them off of the afore mentioned.:wink:

For the record too - When the Ozark bunch comes to Vortex they do a lunch spread for their students and basically commandeer a whole row of tables under Grandview Lodge. If you have gear already on the tables they will move it and put their red table cloths out.

Really!?!?! Well, this is one of the reasons I try to avoid the "popular" dive sites. People like this are pathetic! If anyone were to touch my gear, I would definitely not sit back and just let them do it. I really can't believe the nerve of these people!! :shakehead:

okay, old subject, this was all so last Saturday.

I'm over it, done venting. Hope they act friendlier, and I hope everyone can work toward getting along better.

On a good note, I finally figured out how to make it say Instructor under my name. I was curious about it for a couple of years now, i thought maybe after a certain number of students it might just happen automatically. Then I hit 1000 and nope, still no Instructor designation, and I thought well, that has to be enough.... Anyway... I digress...

Jon, how is the teaching going these days?

Last edited:
(It's a pet peeve I have with non-Floridians coming in like they own the place. Too much like carpetbaggers....)

redneckus of the alabamus variety

maybe their should be a donation box so non floridians can contribute to park maintenance.

What's with the "non-Floridian" hate here? I spend several thousand dollars a year keeping your restaurants, hotels, gas stations, toll roads, charter boats and public parks in business. That does not give me (or any other "tourist") the right to be an ass-hat, but it doesn't push me to the back of the bus either. My dollar spends the same as yours, and helps keep YOUR schools, roads, and courthouses open.

How about hating on the jerk instead of the zip code?

Back
Top Bottom