Morrison Springs 4-22-6 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of weeks ago I did several dives over several days to over 90, Morrison was at 91, then last week It was only a little over 80. Can get to 100 at Vortex. I was close to it last month.

Man, it's this kind of BS that is forcing me to take AOW. Why the heck do I need a guide to dive to 80ft? I need to find someone doing an AOW cheap so I can get the dumb card.

I give out cards for expenses to people I dive with. I use SDI so you will need to actually do some dives, not a 2 day PADI, instructor in a bar in the same county waiving a wond kind of thing.

I dumped four 80's and a 72 last year. Looking at replacing four more 80's.

Has anyone used these

Neutrally Buoyant Aluminum 80 Tank

You know how your tank starts floating at the end of a dive?? Not this one! A neutrally buoyant tank is the exact same size as a standard aluminum 80, but has slightly thicker walls. This adds a bit of weight to the tank, and also allows you to pump it up to 3300 psi. Unlike a standard tank that gets about 3 lbs positive at the end of a dive, this one will be neutral at the end. Take about 3 pounds off your weightbelt if diving this one. A very sought after tank due to it's buoyancy characteristics, and available in standard brushed aluminum.

Well,

I am doing some diving at Troy on Sunday. You game? If not, what are your expenses like ahd when could we do this? SDI/TDI is fine with me.

I'd like to try Troy, but, it is just not the same since it opended an entrance from the park and blocked the river.

I have tried it once, had to wiat in line at the dock and dodge kids diving in the water.

Expenses are c-cards, books, etc.

You may not have to actually do much diving. SDI is a lot like SSI, advanced requires the instructor to VERIFY 25 logged dives and 4 specialities. Often I do equipment Spec. before during and after dives. I can certify for VIP's as specialty as well.

Well, I've done 25 dives since Dec 1, I've done 4ft vis in Morrison, done 1 100ft dive, a couple over 80, but haven't done a boat dive in years and no night dive.

PM me and let me know what I need to do from here. Obviously I don't want to violate any rules, and I am not trying to get credit for dives I have not done. But I dont really want to pay $300 for a AOW card either when I've done most of the diving already.

kchFLA:
Would you guys mind a newb girl coming along the next time you go?
Do you know how to get there? You could meet up with Gulf-Gulper and I on our next trip.

Who has been asking for AOW cards? The most I have ever been asked is to list my last three dives.

When I was certified there were two ratings, scuba and instructor. Now, I am surprised they have not come with an underwater farting contest. With that being said , there'll probably be one after the next chilly cookoff.

in 86, I had not been diving in a while. I walked into a dive shop and noticed a lot of gear I had never seen before, like a BCD. I asked about a refresher. I was told that there was a advanced class going on. I asked about it and found out we would do a night dive, search and Recovery, deep, I don't remember the others. Yeh it was with the four letter word PADI. The night dive I got stuck in the silt up to my knee somewhere in Arizona. Instructor was on the beach with a beer. The search and recovery I lost control of the lift bag, the instructor was again on the beach. The deep dive Was somewhere SW of San Diego, Coronados. My buddy was having trouble on the surface. When we were ready the instructor had gone down without us, we searched around for a while at 90'. Never saw him until we were back on the boat.

A few months later I was living in Hawaii. I went into a dive shop to hook with some diving. They sold me a Rescue class. I thought it would be a good way to met divers and be intorduced to sites. Wrong, there was one other diver in my Rescue, ...no two. We spent our time in the pool trying to do things that are not possible, like CPR in the water. Then went to a beach and practiced dragging each other out of the water.

You can get OW in a weekend, four dives, the next weekend you cando five more and have AOW, the following weekend you can be a Rescue Diver with10 dives. I can't tell you how many Divemasters I have seen that are not comfortable in the springs.

I think that the AOW is a joke. Just something to sell and a strip for the snobs to put on their sleeve. The only reason I went any furhter was . I became friends with my Rescue instructor and actually started to work for him, and He hooked me up with the DiveMaster and I actually worked as a DIvemaster, well sort of worked implies you get paid. Actually all you get is a free dive trip and fewer tips then the divers left for breakfast

PerroneFord:
We did 2 dives below 80ft last weekend! LOL! Mat, I want to go back in there with a light, and sit on the sand. See how deep it is.

I think I hit 93' this past weekend. I believe my deepest there was 99' when the river levels were real high :)

ScubaKris:

Nope. Alot of springs on the Chipola and Wacissa I'd like to try out first...

Thanks for the input man. It was a good dive. We didn't go in the cavern, but the water levels were low, like you suggested, which seemed to make the vis good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom