Morning vs afternoon diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morning = deeper, afternoon = shallower

I think that's the standard "shoebox." Afternoon boats, fewer divers, closer/shallower reefs, cruise ship divers with time constraints (maybe a bit less experience), etc.. Doesn't have to be that way. I've never had a problem getting an op to take me wherever, but that's one of the reasons I use the dive op I use. I'm sure if you work something out specifically with the dive op it shouldn't be a problem. If you haven't used the op before be sure to remember the default answer is "yes, no problem" and dig just a bit deeper.:) YMMV.

Depending on the site, I would think it would be much less crowded. That's a plus in my book. Being able to sleep in would be good too!

Safe travels,
Jay

Much less crowded!! Typically 3 - 5 boats around the Palancar sites, one or 2 around Columbia, and sometimes one around Cedral and Santa Rosa.

Don't know enough of your circunstances but for me its morning. That leaves time for a late lunch, siesta and swim in the pool to cool off, then the late afternoon/evening for other activities.

When you're getting up because your alarm rang, we're sleeping until we wake up, then have a leisurely cup of coffee, check emails, go for a swim, and decide if we want to have breakfast in or out.

Morning = deeper, afternoon = shallower

Nope.

To the OP: Sounds like Blue Magic. If so, you'll love them. Great owner, great management/staff, wash, rinse, and dry your gear, pay for cab to the marina, excellent DM's and captains.

When you're getting up because your alarm rang, we're sleeping until we wake up, then have a leisurely cup of coffee, check emails, go for a swim, and decide if we want to have breakfast in or out.
True. In this respect its just a matter of preference.

How can that be universally true?
Um... didn't know this was a forum of absolutes... may not be "universally true" of for 100% of the dive operators available, but there certainly is a general tendency for dive operators to run shallower dive profiles on afternoon dives, especially the dive ops who are doing 2 tank morning dives and 1 tank afternoon dives, there are exceptions to this as there is to almost everything in life.

Um... didn't know this was a forum of absolutes... May not be "universally true" but there certainly is a tendency for dive operators to run shallower dive profiles on afternoon dives, especially the dive ops who are doing 2 tank morning dives and 1 tank afternoon dives, there are certainly exceptions.

Yes, but what I mean is that the OP implied (or so I think) that the dive operator they have in mind is willing to take them wherever they want. What dive ops have a "tendency" to do does not appear to be a consideration in the OP's case.

True. In this respect its just a matter of preference.

Yes, and I understand. If I had a non-diving wife for example, morning dives might make the most sense. Well ---- I don't know about the most sense, but might promote greater marital harmony. :D

. . .
. . .

That's how we roll on Bonaire. But on Cozumel, it's almost always two morning dives for us.

Yes, but what I mean is that the OP implied (or so I think) that the dive operator they have in mind is willing to take them wherever they want. What dive ops have a "tendency" to do does not appear to be a consideration in the OP's case.

No, I didn't mean to imply that..i was asking the particular dive op we are using about prebooking dives and/or adding on dives while there..they replied that if prebooked they guarantee to take 2 divers out morning, afternoon, or twilight..so before booking morning or afternoon i just wondered if there is any difference in the dive itself..ie do you see more/less generally at one time or the other, more ppl, ect. It sounds like from the responses afternoon dives might be the way to go :coffee:

No, I didn't mean to imply that..i was asking the particular dive op we are using about prebooking dives and/or adding on dives while there..they replied that if prebooked they guarantee to take 2 divers out morning, afternoon, or twilight..so before booking morning or afternoon i just wondered if there is any difference in the dive itself..ie do you see more/less generally at one time or the other, more ppl, ect. It sounds like from the responses afternoon dives might be the way to go :coffee:

The depth issue still isn't clear to me, but I think that's moot. It sounds like you're saying that if you prebook, they will take the two of you out in the afternoon even if no one else is also booked. If that's so, then they might very well take you to your choice of sites--deep, shallow, whatever you want. You should clarify this with them before you book.

Anyway, it sounds like depth of sites is not what you were looking for in the first place. You want to know "do you see more/less at one time or the other, more ppl, etc." As others have pointed out, dive sites might be less crowded in the afternoon. I don't think you would see more or less on a dive at a given site in the morning versus the afternoon. On a twilight or night dive, however, you may very well see different things at a given site than you would have seen earlier in the day, since some critters are nocturnal. A twilight dive can be especially interesting because you can see the "day shift" going to sleep and the "night shift coming on duty."

Here is the bottom line: Diving will be less crowded in the afternoon. The diving quality, currents, visibility, etc.will generally be the same whether you dive morning or afternoon. If you go with a dive operation like Blue Magic, you can do a deep wall dive on dive 1 and then a shallower reef dive on dive 2 in the afternoon. If not going with Blue Magic, check with your operator and ask if there are going to be any dive restrictions in the afternoon, in terms of which sites you can visit. You don't want to go to Cozumel and not dive the gorgeous walls and deeper Palancar reefs. If I were choosing only morning or afternoon, I would choose afternoon. Less people out diving, chance to wake up later and have a leisurely breakfast/morning and work up a nice appetite for dinner. have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom