Morehead City, NC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Headed there in late September for some wreck diving. Any suggestions on dive operators and specific wrecks to visit that are noteworthy? A friend suggested Olympus Dive Center. All of us are advanced divers with significant experience.

Any input would be appreciated.

Doug

I dove with Tortuga in July and had a wonderful time. The boat is a 30-something-foot six-pack with a wonderful crew and lots of space.

We only did four dives out of Morehead, but my favorites were the U-352 (having always wanted to dive a U-boat), and the Aeolis (for the sand tiger sharks). Our other two dives were on the Papoose, which was a nice wreck as well.

Check out Atlantic Beach Divers. Capt Al is top notch. Runs a 6 pack an caters to the wrecks you wanna go to.

Olympus is a great op too, but if you want to control where the boat goes you'd need to bring 10-12 divers to swing the vote.

Diver Down Scuba with Captain Bobby Cox will have you out on the water for your dive when the rest of the boats have decided to stay home. If you want to get your dives in and have limited time, he is the choice.

I would highly suggest you make some calls NOW.
Our charters fill up quickly, often times months in advance, esp weekend trips, there is a good chance you will not find any spots available.
Capt James and the Tortuga are a good choice and if you have the majority of the boat, you can most times choose the sites. tortuga dive charters

Most 6 pack dive boats cater to the advanced divers. I have dove with both Capt Al with Atlantic Beach and Capt James with Tortuga and both are tech savy and will take care of you. We have been using Tortuga Charters the last handful of trips and keep coming back for more. Enjoy the NC diving, it is one of the best dive destinations in the USA!

The Diver Down boat looks great. We are planning to do mid-week to avoid the crowds. Since there are just four of us, smaller is definitely better.

Herman, since you live near there. Any favorite sites?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Doug

Not Herman but we dive there a lot.

If you can and weather and sea state permit. The Sharky wrecks are out east of MHC and that would be The Atlas and The Caribsea. Great structure with LOTS of sharks.

The steel dick aka U352 is cool to see once.

Spar is great for easy penetration, it is a newer wreck with not much growth.

Papoose always delivers both sharks and small stuff.

I have been out there twice in the past 2 years. I can't say enough good things Capt. Terry and The Outrageous V out of Discovery Diving!

As to where to go...where ever Capt. Terry takes you. He can pick them!

Back
Top Bottom