More old steels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could you guys please help me ID a tank for sale on my local craigslist? Seller's description:

Steel tank, yellow with J valve
DOT 3 AA 225
HJ 202287 70 +
5 B 90

Usually I have a decent idea what I'm looking at but I'm not sure how to read this one. Looks to have been born in 1970, hydro'd in 1990. What are its capacity and fill pressure? What is it worth? I'll have a look at it today and post some pics if that helps.

It should actually read 3AA2250. It's a standard steel 72.

Ahhhhh. That all makes sense now. Thanks. What is it worth if it has been sitting several years and needs vis and hydro?

Are those good tanks in terms of buoyancy, etc?

They are basically neutral when empty. LP72 are worth $50-$100 when in hydro and vis. I'd drain the air, remove the valve, and check inside first. If clean offer $40.

Beware that many old 72s have an epoxy lining that will likely need to be removed by tumbling. It's not a big deal but would be an additional cost if you don't have or can't make tumbling equipment. Other than that they're awesome tanks for basic rec diving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Beware that many old 72s have an epoxy lining that will likely need to be removed by tumbling. It's not a big deal but would be an additional cost if you don't have or can't make tumbling equipment. Other than that they're awesome tanks for basic rec diving.

Its a bitch to tumble out. And sometimes has corrosion/pitting underneath which requires condemning the tank.

I heard that the actual capacity of these tanks is 68 cu ft. Is that true? I'm new so my air consumption is a work in progress but lately I've been coming up with about 1/3 of my air in a HP100 after 45-ish minute dives that max out around 30m. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just stick to larger capacity cylinders.

It doesn't necessarily need to be removed. This has been discussed here many times and I am not going through it again, just do a search for lined tanks or such.

I would trade an aluminum eighty for those doubles, where are you located?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

All, thanks for the comments. I've not been able to check in for a few days and actually forgot about this thread. For the record, I have no interest in buying these 53s but my coworker is trying to find out their value to the vintage guys and I remembered seeing someone post about wanting an old set of small twins. Any ideas on the value (considering no current hydro)?

Back
Top Bottom