More old steels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever someone is willing to pay. FWIW I was given a set once. I use them singly to inflate my boat.

Here's an odd one. There's a hydro stamp on it from 2003 but the VIP sticker is from 1989. And the valve doesn't look right. Is it incomplete?

00F0F_i9f3E0vSPxj_600x450.jpg 00F0F_njsciVVXJb_600x450.jpg 00b0b_8i7vOAuoFzO_600x450.jpg 00606_9M3bKHhylXP_600x450.jpg

Old J valve with the reserve knob removed. So the VIP is missing. Could have been filled via personal compressor. No VIP needed.

I heard that the actual capacity of these tanks is 68 cu ft. Is that true? I'm new so my air consumption is a work in progress but lately I've been coming up with about 1/3 of my air in a HP100 after 45-ish minute dives that max out around 30m. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just stick to larger capacity cylinders.

The capacity is 71.2 cft at 2475 PSI, which is the original service pressure of 2250 plus 10%. The 10% overfill was allowed with the "+" you see stamped on the original hydro. To get that renewed, you need to find a hydro facility that is willing to find the REE number, not easy on some of these tanks. If you can only get them filled to 2250, they hold about 65 cft.

That said, this one looks like it's in good shape, and 72s are a pleasure to dive with. They only weigh 26lbs on land, they're neutral empty, nice and compact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom