More kudos for a certain dive shop in Carrollton, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
I was in the shop on Friday and the service was awesome! (As always)

I sure wish that my LDS would offer the same deals and the same level of customer service!

Yep...me too. I told my LDS what I could get a 30 cuft pony tank for from ST and they gave me a half dozen excuses why they couldn't match it. I bought the pony tank from ST (much less expensive than my LDS even with shipping). When I brought the tank to my shop for a fill they told me they'd have to VIP it again because it was empty...of course it was empty ST VIPed it two days before and shipped it to me. Guess what...to everyone's great surprise (NOT!) the tank passed the inspection. My local shop lost my business because of that deal. Luckily we have several here in Austin I can use when I need them.

The guys in Carrollton ROCK! I try to use them anytime I can now. They have good prices and know what customer service is all about.

k-valve:
of course it was empty ST VIPed it two days before and shipped it to me. Guess what...to everyone's great surprise (NOT!) the tank passed the inspection. My local shop lost my business because of that deal.

I'm a fan of ScubaToys as well, but I still have sympathy for that particular LDS. ANYONE can create and slap on a VIP sticker. If a tank comes in at zero pressure, what does the guy at the counter really know beyond what you tell him?

Personally, I consider the cost of a visual part of the price of admission if I mail order a pressure bottle.

I agree that ST goes the extra mile on customer service, but unless you have a list of other gripes with that particular LDS, you might want to give them a break on this one.

k-valve:
Yep...me too. I told my LDS what I could get a 30 cuft pony tank for from ST and they gave me a half dozen excuses why they couldn't match it. I bought the pony tank from ST (much less expensive than my LDS even with shipping). When I brought the tank to my shop for a fill they told me they'd have to VIP it again because it was empty...of course it was empty ST VIPed it two days before and shipped it to me. Guess what...to everyone's great surprise (NOT!) the tank passed the inspection. My local shop lost my business because of that deal. Luckily we have several here in Austin I can use when I need them.

The guys in Carrollton ROCK! I try to use them anytime I can now. They have good prices and know what customer service is all about.

For what is is worth. I wouldn't have filled the tank without doing a new VIP as well knowing it had been shipped. Stuff can get damaged in shipping.

I wouldn't have charged you full price for it however.... in fact I most likely would have done it for free. I also would have just sold you the tank at ST's price.... made the whole thing a non issue, it isn't like the 10-20 bucks shops make on alum cylinders is worth losing a cust. over.

I have to agree with cerich. 10-20 bucks is not worth losing a customer. I try to work with all my customers. There are times when I can match the total price and times when I cannot. Still, I appreciate the opportunity to try.

cerich:
For what is is worth. I wouldn't have filled the tank without doing a new VIP as well knowing it had been shipped. Stuff can get damaged in shipping.

You know, that's all they had to say. Possible shipping damage is actually a good reason. His was that the tank was empty from shipping and that he couldn't trust ScubaToys...or any other DS for that matter...to do an adequate job of VIPing a tank. The more I think about it the more I wonder if the guy wasn't just PO'ed because I didn't roll over and buy the tank from them. Who knows?

Don't be too sympathetic toward my LDS, guys...I spent several thousands of dollars with them this year alone. Their only problem is being a little short sighted. For giving me (what I felt like was) the run around, the charging me for an extra VIP, and not even trying to match ST's price on the tank, they lost my business...for awhile anyway.

The fact is I really like most of the guys in the shop, especially the majority owner. I'll probably be back...just not as regularly as before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom