More active used market due to supply chain issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got a steel 100 for 200. So yup a few good ones still out there.

At the same token I've been waiting around 2 months for a new bpw and reg set.

I just got a steel 100 for 200. So yup a few good ones still out there.

At the same token I've been waiting around 2 months for a new bpw and reg set.
3/4" or 7/8"? In hydro or no?

3/4" always seem to have a higher price around here. I did score a set of 3/4" (galv) for $175 / tank in hydro. My last set of 7/8" (painted) 100's were $75 / tank but out of hydro (they passed).

I had to drive to another state to get them though... so it's not all peaches and cream.

The cost of shipping has made it cheaper for more stuff to go into the trash,tanks are a good investment for the most part but shipping those is pretty much out of the question.
I ship about 100 tanks every year. It isn't out of the question at all, most just don't want to deal with it.

I ship about 100 tanks every year. It isn't out of the question at all, most just don't want to deal with it.
Mostly referred to shipping cost for us non commercial sellers.

Yeah but it depends on what the gear being hoarded is. Brightly colored recreational gear from the 80s with dried out, stiff wetsuits? Nope. The crap I see on Craigslist locally is funny.
You have a point.
But there is a ton of lightly used newer gear out there sitting in storage units and garages/closets that’s packed away not being used because the people got all motivated and got certified thinking they were going to get into diving, only to find out a few years later that they got bored with it, can’t afford to fly somewhere warm and/or Covid restrictions, etc. Maybe it became a been-there-done-that scenario and they moved on to another hobby?
Never the less, the gear is out there and it just needs to be located. They never use the stuff anymore but it also hasn’t made it to craigslist yet either, kind if in a state of limbo.
If someone with a little moxy business sense could figure out a way to skake the trees and acquire this stuff they could have a tidy little side business selling good used gear.

For sure harder to find tanks.. you can still find deals, but they're not plentiful like they used to be. Usually for me the deals are an older diver getting out of it and really doesn't know what the market is doing.

It might be a good thing for me... I need to stop buying crap:) Better yet, take @Eric Sedletzky advice and sell some stuff off!
Out of the eleven tanks I have I think I only bought three of them, the rest were given to me.
Granted they are mostly steel 72’s, one is an 85, and it was also given to me. But hey man, there’s nothing wrong with free steel 72’s! Or 85’s.
Beggars can’t be choosy.
They’re great for shallower beach dives.
You just have to socially position yourself correctly and be in the right place at the right time. The free crap will find it’s way to you.
Four of my reg sets were free crap, they all work, and I use all of them.
I make it clear to all my friends and associates that I’m a hard core diver and like to collect vintage gear, (any gear) and the stuff comes my way, some useable, some not, but I’ll be the judge of that.
I’ve sold or given away just as much gear as I’ve acquired. I keep a limited amount of stuff around, not enough to be accused of being a hoarder.

Mostly referred to shipping cost for us non commercial sellers.
Yeah, that is me. While technically commercial, as the goal is to make a profit. I work from my basement.

Yeah, that is me. While technically commercial, as the goal is to make a profit. I work from my basement.
They love the volume I bet.

Hi Tracy,

I don't need any more tanks, nor do I want to get rid of any that I have. However, every now and then I consider purchasing a tank of a different size than I own. What is the most economical way of shipping a cylinder?

TIA,

Couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom